Questions about customizing the boot menu

T

Tex

Hi. Browsing the forums I found this two threads (1, 2), where I saw some BCD settings that supposedly would make the boot menu title (the part at the top that says "Windows Boot Manager") have a different title. What I would like to know is. Is there any way to modify it either with EasyBCD or with the cli bcdedit tool? And if I need to use the bcdedit tool. Is there any way to do it in such a way that the modifications I have already done with EasyBCD (added a Wubi and a FreeDOS entry) won't break off?

Sorry mate, it's not possible. You can change the output of bcdedit, but it won't reflect on the boot screen.

Nope.

Addendum:

It'll work, but at boot time the description won't change. It's hard-coded into the MUI files, which you can (and I have) modified in the past, but it's really not worth it.

Last edited:
Kind of silly of them to hard code it when they give bootmgr a description property, but hey its their bootloader so of course it could be expected.

Nope.

Addendum:

It'll work, but at boot time the description won't change. It's hard-coded into the MUI files, which you can (and I have) modified in the past, but it's really not worth it.

Hi. How did you modify the bootmgr.exe.mui file? I found it but the particular text string is in a resource called "BOOTMGR.XSL" (which is inside a resource called "23" in resource hacker and "HTML" in XN Resource Editor") which neither Resource Hacker nor XN Resource Editor know how to handle (both show raw hex) and I don't know how to go from there.

Why would you want to change that anyway? I could see why you might want to do it if the name wasn't descriptive enough, but "Windows Boot Manager" is pretty descriptive to me... :wink:

Some of us just like a generic name, especially if our computers have more than Windows on it :smile:
Ok, but remember its called Windows Boot Manager, which is still accurate even when multibooting with other OSes besides Windows, as you're still using the boot manager which Windows provides. :wink:

But to each his own setup I guess. :smile:

Back