Questions about customizing the boot menu

T

Tex

Hi. Browsing the forums I found this two threads (1, 2), where I saw some BCD settings that supposedly would make the boot menu title (the part at the top that says "Windows Boot Manager") have a different title. What I would like to know is. Is there any way to modify it either with EasyBCD or with the cli bcdedit tool? And if I need to use the bcdedit tool. Is there any way to do it in such a way that the modifications I have already done with EasyBCD (added a Wubi and a FreeDOS entry) won't break off?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sorry mate, it's not possible. You can change the output of bcdedit, but it won't reflect on the boot screen.

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} description "Whatever you wanna call it" doesn't work?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Nope.

Addendum:

It'll work, but at boot time the description won't change. It's hard-coded into the MUI files, which you can (and I have) modified in the past, but it's really not worth it.

Last edited:

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kind of silly of them to hard code it when they give bootmgr a description property, but hey its their bootloader so of course it could be expected.

T

Tex

Nope.

Addendum:

It'll work, but at boot time the description won't change. It's hard-coded into the MUI files, which you can (and I have) modified in the past, but it's really not worth it.

Hi. How did you modify the bootmgr.exe.mui file? I found it but the particular text string is in a resource called "BOOTMGR.XSL" (which is inside a resource called "23" in resource hacker and "HTML" in XN Resource Editor") which neither Resource Hacker nor XN Resource Editor know how to handle (both show raw hex) and I don't know how to go from there.

Coolname007

Why would you want to change that anyway? I could see why you might want to do it if the name wasn't descriptive enough, but "Windows Boot Manager" is pretty descriptive to me... :wink:

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of us just like a generic name, especially if our computers have more than Windows on it :smile:

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member

Coolname007

Some of us just like a generic name, especially if our computers have more than Windows on it :smile:
Ok, but remember its called Windows Boot Manager, which is still accurate even when multibooting with other OSes besides Windows, as you're still using the boot manager which Windows provides. :wink:

But to each his own setup I guess. :smile:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I'd rename it to "EasyBCD Boot Menu" :grinning: