Re-writing my MBR made system unbootable

awr

I used to have a working multi-boot system but in an attempt to fix a problem (I can’t recall what it was) I rewrote the MBR and the entire system became unbootable.

The Windows 8 version of EasyRE rescued the Windows 8 partition. When I tried to rescue the Windows 7 partition with the Win 7 version of EasyRE the whole system became unbootable again.

The Win 8 partition was again rescued by EasyRE but only that partition became bootable.

At the moment I have only two partitions on the boot menu and the Win 8 one is working well. If I select the Win 7 partition it boots to the splash screen, “Starting Windows”, then displays the Blue Screen of Death with the error code 0x0000007B.

The system also has two other partitions with Windows XP and a second Windows 8 but I am not attempting to deal with those at this time.

Any suggestions for restoring the Win 7 partition will be very welcome.

Thanks for that but the stop I get is not "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE" but "STOP 0x0000007B (0x80786A50, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)".

I am also puzzled by the fact that the Microsoft KB advises running a Fixit program or editing the registry when the BSoD prevents the user loading and running the OS. Is there some way of doing this of which I am not aware? EasyRE only offers a Restore facility (which I have tried) to change to an earlier registry. I can access the Windows seven disc but know of no way of editing the registry there.

I appreciate your help to date.

Regards,

AWR

Still likely to be caused by an inaccessible boot drive. Check the more information section at the bottom regarding BIOS settings.

Back