Really need help fixing "missing bootmngr" on start up

Deeply sorry...:shame: I'm totally spacing out over here, probably due to the fact it is pretty late, and I need to be getting my beauty sleep... :brows: Ok, so I'm not sure what Recovery disk you're using, but it can't be the one downloadable from this site, unless of course someone has incorporated bootsect.exe into the the Recovery CD, and I'm not privy to it. :wink:

Ok, those chipset problems could be due to not having the latest drivers. Try going to Device Manager, and try updating your chipset driver, and see if it fixes the issue. I'm not sure if it is the root of this particular problem or not, but its likely causing you trouble, so it needs to be fixed anyway, regardless.

Cheers,

Jake

No worries everything is much appreciated, the CD i am using is from a friend.

All though when i tried the manual steps earlier, only being able to get these commands to work, upon restarting it said the CD could not be read anymore.
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
D:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

I was lucky enough that he gave me 2 CDs just incase, so i am a little skeptical about running those commands again with my last CD.

Does running those commands actually do anything to the bootsec.exe file on the CD itself?

im afraid to try step 4 (nuke) because of this i dont wanna corrupt my last instalation CD.

No worries everything is much appreciated, the CD i am using is from a friend.

All though when i tried the manual steps earlier, only being able to get these commands to work, upon restarting it said the CD could not be read anymore.
Corrupt disk maybe?
Try looking on the bottom of it, and see if it there's a lot of scratches on it...could be your problem. :wink:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr

I was lucky enough that he gave me 2 CDs just incase, so i am a little skeptical about running those commands again with my last CD.

Does running those commands actually do anything to the bootsec.exe file on the CD itself?

im afraid to try step 4 (nuke) because of this i dont wanna corrupt my last instalation CD.
Yeah, it runs it...and then it uses it to perform repairs on your computer. :brows: Other than that, it doesn't do anything to the bootsect, so I highly doubt that that was the cause of your last disk failing you...:wink: Most likely the CD got scratched up since you used it successfully the last time, or something else similar to that happened to it, and that is why it no longer works. No harm should be done to your working copy by running bootsect.exe.

Cheers,

Jake

Last edited:
Alright one other question i had, it says there are other ways to get the bootsect.exe file if i was to download it or get it from easyBCD how would i go about using that instead of the file on the CD, and where would i need to dump it?
Im assuming just into the C: drive, and then instead of D use C in the command line, not 100% sure though.

Concerning the chipset and drivers, it says its working properly and there is no updated drivers.

Last edited:
From the Command Prompt on the CD:

Code:
cd C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin
bootsect.exe nt60 all /force
That is how you could have used the one in EasyBCD's bin folder. :wink: But as of now, since you already did that command, and used the one on the CD instead, there is no need to use bootsect.exe anymore at all. Just follow the rest of the wiki's instructions.

Cheers,

Jake

EDIT: And concerning bootrec.exe not working, it could be because there is not one on your CD...

Last edited:
vista bootmgr missing problem

Im about to launch the laptop through the window!!!!

Ive got a Intel celeron, HP Compaq 6720s.. Ive followed through all the instructions of downloading the utorrent file and buring it on tot he disc.. The disc has been completed and the file is on it! However, when I put the disk into the laptop and press F8 nothing happens and it still comes up with the same error mess. Ive also tried to changed the order of the BIOS in the boot agent setup menu, but f**k all hapens... please can someone help me as wot the hell im to do with this disc now ive downloaded it all...

Thanks

Kate:rage:

Hello Kate,

You need to take the .torrent you downloaded, grab the "real file" using it with uTorrent or your favorite bit torrent client, and than take the .iso file you get from the torrent and burn to disc using ImgBurn.

When you finish burning and view the disc (may haft to re-insert), there should be mutiple files/folders on the disc. Basically imagine that the .iso you get is a .zip file. When you use the burn iso to disc feature in ImgBurn, it extracts the files from there, puts them on the disc, and writes all the necessary boot code to make it bootable.

Hi

Thanks for this info... basically im as think as pig shit lol... Right I firstly downloaded the vista 32 bit download, then the torrent thing, then put the vista repair thing onto the torrent, then i did that imgburn and put the torrent and vista thing on the cd..one at a time on different disc's and tried that then both together!!! I switch the laptop back on pop the disc in and it dont do out!!!..

I no i sound dumb.. but hey im blonde lol.

Kate

Last edited:
Ok, another download blog post with instructions in it can be found here.

@CG, might be good to add the instructions to the other blog post that don't have them :smile:

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for this info... basically im as think as pig shit lol... Right I firstly downloaded the vista 32 bit download, then the torrent thing, then put the vista repair thing onto the torrent, then i did that imgburn and put the torrent and vista thing on the cd..one at a time on different disc's and tried that then both together!!! I switch the laptop back on pop the disc in and it dont do out!!!..

I no i sound dumb.. but hey im blonde lol.

Kate

The torrent is just a file that a program called a "torrent client" uses to download the pieces of whatever it is you want to download... :wink: You can't simply burn it (that is...the torrent file) to a CD, and expect it to work. You need to open up uTorrent, add the Torrent so it starts downloading it (that is...the actual file, namely the 32 bit Recovery CD .iso). And then once uTorrent finishes the download of the *actual file* (the 32 bit download), then you burn the *ISO* to the CD with ImgBurn...nothing more, nothing less. :brows:

Jake

From the Command Prompt on the CD:

Code:
cd C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin
bootsect.exe nt60 all /force
That is how you could have used the one in EasyBCD's bin folder. :wink: But as of now, since you already did that command, and used the one on the CD instead, there is no need to use bootsect.exe anymore at all. Just follow the rest of the wiki's instructions.

Cheers,

Jake

EDIT: And concerning bootrec.exe not working, it could be because there is not one on your CD...

So your saying i wouldent need to use these commands when trying step 4 (nuke)? essentially i could skip this and go to the next set of commands?
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

del C:\boot\bcd
bcdedit /createstore c:\boot\bcd.temp
bcdedit.exe /store c:\boot\bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"
bcdedit.exe /import c:\boot\bcd.temp
bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
bcdedit.exe /timeout 10
del c:\boot\bcd.temp

*NOTE*
I did that manual step 3 yesterday afteroon is wen i used the command

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

So your saying i wouldent need to use these commands when trying step 4 (nuke)? essentially i could skip this and go to the next set of commands?
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

del C:\boot\bcd
bcdedit /createstore c:\boot\bcd.temp
bcdedit.exe /store c:\boot\bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"
bcdedit.exe /import c:\boot\bcd.temp
bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
bcdedit.exe /timeout 10
del c:\boot\bcd.temp

*NOTE*
I did that manual step 3 yesterday afteroon is wen i used the command

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Yeah, you can skip that part altogether, and just run the rest of the commands. No sense in running the bootsect one twice. :wink:

Jake

Back