Recover Vista Bootloader after Installing Windows XP

tehsteave

Hey everyone, great forum here!

Well, my issue is this. I bought a new laptop recently and it came with Vista pre-installed and set up with two (roughly)40gb partitions. I decided to install xp afterwards mainly because I'm most comfortable with it. Unfortunately, when I boot now it goes straight to XP. No boot loader at all. I read a few other posts, and the solution to most was to just use the vista DVD and repair, but my laptop didn't come with the full vista, just an upgrade disc. Will that work is well? or will I have to get more complicated?

thanks in advance!
--Stephen

Why not use EasyBCD. It can help you get the Vista Bootloader back and then you just have to add XP to it and be able to dual boot.

Hello tehsteave, Mak....

Mak's right, that's the easiest way to do it.
Go to http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
Download and install the latest version of EasyBCD (currently at 1.52) on Windows XP.

Run EasyBCD from Windows XP, and use the Bootloader Management screen and press "reinstall vista bootloader" then reboot when it's done.

Good Luck!

Glad to hear that (both that it worked and that it'll have your official word-of-mouth guarantee!!!)..

tehsteave, stick around, the fun is just about to begin. Vista has just gone out to the masses, and they'll be a ton of info and support going back and forth in all directions - stick around and help us build a better community where everyone benefits!

I still stop by every once in a while. I try to make it as often as possible. But with a new family it is tough.

But i have managed to get Home Premium and i am also nominated for the Microsoft Windows MVP program. Which is sweet.

Mak, that's awesome news!

What field have you been nominated for?

Don't worry, drop by whenever you can, we'll still be here! :smile:

I was nominated for Windows MVP is all that was said.

I am one the MVP leads for the Windows platforms. I work with other leads to recognize and support Microsoft MVPs who post in the Windows online community.

Directly taken from the email. So it is basically for the support i have done with Vista and XP on several forums. Which is nice. I cant wait to see what comes of it.

I will be stopping by more often. I will just help out where and how i can. :sunglasses:

it doesen't work for me i have 2 hard drive c:frowning:primary matser(0) and d:frowning:secondary master(1) i installed vista on c: and recently decided to install windows xp on my sec drive d: after that i could only start win xp i did not have the option or vista bootloader so i reinstall vista bootloader with vistabootpro all fine have the boot os sreen now however only vista work when trying to boot windows xp it say winload.exe corrupted or missing so i deleeted windows xp with vistabootpro form the os entries and re add it and did not work what should i do now?

hi thanks alot i did that. here is my boot.ini look like is anything wrong?
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWs
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

here is my vista boot manager

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {8c7cbbff-73e6-11db-93d5-9f47fbadf018}
displayorder {current}
{65ec1043-b5c3-11db-9d03-00e02999e213}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {8c7cbbff-73e6-11db-93d5-9f47fbadf018}
nx OptIn

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {65ec1043-b5c3-11db-9d03-00e02999e213}
device partition=D:
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows XP
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows

i still can't get it to work i will go the easy way i guess. i will format my d: windows xp remove win xp os entry from easybcd. so let start over i have on my 1st drive c: vista. now i will install on my 2nd drive d: win xp what i will have to do after that cause i know i will only be able to boot to win xp and vista won't work.

No need for that Eddy.
Just change the drive letter for XP (in EasyBCD) from D: to C:

Then change
to
default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Does that do the trick?

Note that your boot.ini says that though Vista is drive C:, Windows XP is the first partition. Is that correct?

If you do reinstall XP, getting Vista back is as simple of a matter as running EasyBCD on XP and runing "Bootloader Management" -> "Reinstall Vista Bootloader" then rebooting.

too late i formated my d: winxp. no i don't have any 2nd partition on any of both Hard disk. now i have only vista on drive c: . i will reinstall windows xp on my d: . vista won't load anymore i will have to install easybcd in winxp and reinstall vista booloader and everything should work is that correct?
also should i remove those lines from legacy entries?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Delete boot.ini entirely, let the Windows XP setup re-create it on its own.

Those steps look great, that should do the trick.

thanks now it works my mistake was like you said to change xp drive from D: to C: . i did not understand why it should be as d: cause my xp was installed on that that drive but the booting files are on c: and it impossible to have xp boot.ini load vista now it all clear. and EasyBCD make it all easy great tool realy usefull.

thanks alot again

Please please please someone help me with this!!!

If you do reinstall XP, getting Vista back is as simple of a matter as running EasyBCD on XP and runing "Bootloader Management" -> "Reinstall Vista Bootloader" then rebooting.

I did the same with Windows 2000. I have a pre-loaded Vista, created another partition, installed Windows 2000 on it. Now my computer only boots in 2000.

I install EasyBCD, go to Bootloader Management" -> "Reinstall Vista Bootloader and restart, nothing has changed, still boots directly to 2000.

Do I need to add a Windows 2000 entry with easyBCD before reinstalling the bootloader? Do I need to do anything to my boot.ini file on C:\ (partition where Vista is installed, file contains only an entry for Windows 2000).

I'm really in a hurry to finish that double boot and i'm completly lost right now.

Back