Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD instructions

dabl

I'm trying to follow the steps outlined in the EasyBCD article 'Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD'

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

I can successfully get to step three and can run

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

But when I try the next command

x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

I get the below message

The system cannot find the path specified

So, this dir (\boot) doesn't seem to exist

I checked the path environment which looks like this

PATH=X:\windows\system32;X:\windows

What am I missing?

Addendum:

followup: discovered this thread http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3070 discussing this problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply I appreciate it!

I guess I didn't make myself crystal clear.

I'm at step three because I need to be. Step two did NOT fix the problem.

You are following the "manual" fix list.
I'm talking about the automatic repair that Vista will do for you.
Follow my link to the auto page.
(the 2 or 3 times reference was about the fact that the auto repair only fixes one thing at a time and needs to be repeated, rebooting each time, till it's finished)

You are following the "manual" fix list.)

Precisely!

I'm talking about the automatic repair that Vista will do for you.)

Right!

Follow my link to the auto page..)

Eh? Did you read my original post? Your link to the 'auto page' is the very article I'm posting about. You seem to be suggesting I try step two.

I have.

It hasn't worked

Hence my need for step three from the aforementioned doc.

I don't need the special recovery disc since I have a Vista DVD.

Actually the REAL issue (as per my original post) is the lack of bootsect.exe on the Vista DVD!

As I understand it, this is also missing from your recovery disk!

This is all being discussed in the thread I referenced.

My hope (as per a suggestion from you in that thread I believe) is to get a copy of bootsect.exe from either a Win 7 DVD or a BCD install, copy it to a floppy, and run that in step three of your aforementioned doc (which needs to be corrected ASAP!) and bloody get on with my manual repair!

(the 2 or 3 times reference was about the fact that the auto repair only fixes one thing at a time and needs to be repeated, rebooting each time, till it's finished)

Right, and as I said, it did NOT fix the problem, hence my need for the manual repair.

Please understand I very much appreciate your help, it just seems like you're not understanding my real problem.

Apologies.
That's the problem with dipping in and out of the forum. I was called to dinner as I answered, so my response was not as researched as it might have been.
I operated on the premise that a hasty reply is better than no response, but it clearly doesn't always pay off.
I mistakenly thought you were here which a lot of people struggle with, never having given the DVD a chance to fix the problem.
What happened with the "repair startup" ?
Sometimes it can't find a Vista system to repair, but responds to "next" anyway with the first stage of the repair and Vista subsequently reappears.
Other times (like for me once), "next" just results in a demand for HDD drivers.
In my case, this was due to a HDD conflict between IDE and SATA, and removal of the (non vista) IDE HDD temporarily, resulted in Vista becoming visible (and immediately fixable).
It has also been known to happen in an all SATA PC, where removing the surplus disks allows the DVD to find and fix Vista.
What's the nature of your failure ?

Do you got EasyBCD installed in Vista?

When you get to that step assuming your Vista drive is C:, use the following to change directories:

Code:
cd "c:\program files\neosmart technologies\easybcd\bin\"

Than you should be able to run the bootsect utility.

Do you got EasyBCD installed in Vista?

When you get to that step assuming your Vista drive is C:, use the following to change directories:

Code:
cd "c:\program files\neosmart technologies\easybcd\bin\"
Than you should be able to run the bootsect utility.

What Justin neglected to mention before is that you will need to 1) open up the Command Prompt first before running that command, and 2) run:

Code:
bootsect.exe
after running the other command. :smile: This will run the bootsect utility, and you can go on from there.

Cheers.

-Coolname007

Back