Recovery Disk not working

Hi! I've got a Sony Vaio (VGN-NR385E) and the recovery disk isn't working. Backstory - I was dual-booting ubuntu and vista, deleted the ubuntu partition and gave reallocated it to the c: drive. Now I was planning on using this disk to get past the grub. When I load the recovery disk and select repair computer and choose my os it stats "this version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery dis that is compatible with theis version of windows" any help on what to do would be much appreciated.

Hi Nilla, welcome to NST.
If you're talking about the recovery disk from here, it sounds like you downloaded the wrong one. You need the x86 version if your Vaio is running 32 bit Vista

Thanks for the welcome, I tried the x86 version and now it it is freezes when my laptop prompts "Press any key to boot from cd or dvd..".

any thoughts?

Press a key when it gives you that message. Press too late, you'll need to reboot and try again.

Vista 32 and 64 Recovery Discs NOT WORKING

I have downloaded the 2 torrent files, then downloaded the 2 ISO files from here (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/) ...

I tried using Roxio 2009 to burn the ISO (which i have done many times before) but when i click BURN the CD goes a little crazy in the drive, i keep hearing a squeaky sound every 3 seconds or so coming from the cd drive and the progress on the screen stays at 0%, pretty much freezes, because even when i cancel the burn it takes a while for the burn to stop...

OK, so then i just opened and unpacked the ISO files, each to a folder, and burned the data to CDs after that, which worked, but the CDs are not bootable now... I doubt all the right data is on there or in the corect format...

any ideas what is going on?
i have the two ISO files, VIsta 32 bit recovery (file size 120MB) and Vista 64bit Recovery (file size 148MB)

thanks
mike

Hi atamouta. Welcome to NST.
Use ImgBurn instead to burn the ISO to a CD.
Hundreds of people have used that program successfully, while others failed.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

-Coolname007

Yeah, unpacking the files and copying is a bad idea cause it won't be bootable. Follow cool's advice and you should be fine.

Back