recovery disk problem

Hi all!
i went to here: Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs The NeoSmart Files
and downloaded the x86 version for my windows 7 which stuffed up today, and i have lost all the disks :frowning:
The problem with my windows 7 is that i compressed the hard drive to save space, and now when i start up, its says that bootmgr is compressed, and i cant do anything.

So i download this torrent to fix it up, and i burnt it to a disk using imgburn.
but when i insert it and boot it, it says "PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable"

Help!!

You mustn't have burned the CD properly. What steps did you take?

Did you extract the file before burning?

Nope. Just wanted to make sure.

Do you by any chance get a "Press any key to continue..." message?

Nope.
Just errors straight away.
I googled around, and could it possibly be that it boots from the cd, then the lan thingo, then the HDD?
Just wondering.

Addendum:

Or maybe my hard drives loose or faulty?

Last edited:
Verify that the BIOS is set properly by booting some other known-bootable disc, like an old Windows CD.
If you don't get "press any key....", check your BIOS again.
If that's definitely correct, see if a DVD works (different lasers, so one can fail leaving the other still functional).
If that all checks out OK, then try downloading and burning the ISO again, following the instuctions
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning+ISO+Images+with+ImgBurn
If you did previously follow these correctly, try a slower burn.

Verify that the BIOS is set properly by booting some other known-bootable disc, like an old Windows CD.
If you don't get "press any key....", check your BIOS again.
If that's definitely correct, see if a DVD works (different lasers, so one can fail leaving the other still functional).
If that all checks out OK, then try downloading and burning the ISO again, following the instuctions
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning+ISO+Images+with+ImgBurn
If you did previously follow these correctly, try a slower burn.

Yeah, i can boot a old windows xp disk just fine
I dont quite understand what you mean by boot a DVD?
I can try a slower burn, and see how it goes.

Addendum:

Trying it with a write speed of x10 now

Addendum:

Nope, same error :frowning:

Last edited:
He meant try a blank DVD if you were using a CD for the burn. Really ImgBurn's default burn speed recommendation should be fine. Can you try to boot any of the discs in another computer to verify they were burned properly?

ok, will try them out on this computer

Addendum:

Yeah, it works just fine on this computer :/

Addendum:

And i just realised ive been using cds the whole time, could that be the problem?

Last edited:
before you go any further, try disconnecting and reconnecting the cables to your HDD and optical drives, to clean up the contacts.

No CDs aren't the problem. It might have been your burner, but we've identified that its not the case since you can boot the discs on another computer. Windows discs tend to panic if the drive can't be found or something is seriously wrong with it so much so sometimes they'll refuse to boot up. Try Terry's suggestion and see if you can boot from the discs afterwards.

Hi Doobiedoo3,
it is possible that the CD have not bootmgr or NTLDR in the root?
And the importend Files for first CD-Boot?
If you not work with the Grub-Loader you need this OS-Files.
Can you boot with USB sticks too?
Then make one or more USB-boot-Stick, finish with CD burning and easy to change parts on the USB stick.
Faster is the USB stick booting too...

Greetings from Germany,

STRUPPI

Boot with a Ubuntu live disc and see if you can uncompress the contents of your Windows drive. If not, now would be a good time to backup anything important.

Doobiedoo3,
I formating the USB with the "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.2.3" and Copy later all Datas from the CD on the USB stick.
Then i control, if the NTDRL or the bootmgr present.
The Mising File i creat simply:
Only with "Copy as" i copy the present File on the USB-Root with new "Missing File name" on the USB-Root.
So finaly 2 Fils are present: the NTLDR and the bootmgr.
But this is only possible, if the original CD can boot.

If you have no boot sequence and no boot Folder, write me this.
Then we must make this first (I work with original WinPE, but BartPE ist nearly the same).

Greetings from Germany,

STRUPPI

Back