Recovery software identiifes wrong Windows version(Vista instead of Windows 7)

DJN17

Hi, i have after several attempts managed to get the recovery boot up to recognise 2 drives to repair but apart from the "boot Volume" there is only Windows Vista 32-bit option. Sadly i have long since upgraded the laptop to Windows 7 (after the laptop originally came with Vista) so would only expect to have the option to repair Windows 7. Why am i now only given a choice to recover Windows Vista (has Windows 7 become corrupt?).

The problem originally was after having problems with the virus/firewall (Norton) the laptop failed to boot up with message "BOOTMGR missing" and since trying to boot from the EasyRE Windows 7 recovery CD provided.

thanks!

No idea why the recovery disk identifies your W7 as Vista if you've upgraded it to W7, but a W7 repair disk will repair a Vista boot just as well (with the later modules which are fully backward compatible), so you can go ahead and let it fix the bootmgr.

Hey reply back and let us know what happened, if you still have the product key for windows 7 I wouldnt worry about it too much you can always download another ISO of windows 7 and enter the product key after reinstalling it. There are legal places to download windows 7 isos like digitalriver, since you still have to enter a product key, If you are dealing with a bad hard drive Use spinrite to repair the drive, it usually will help you get your data and often will make the drive run like new again. I have been using it for years and have not had a failed drive since I bought it!

Hi both, thanks for the replies. Sorry I have been full on at work and haven't had a chance to look at this again until now. The problem is that even when I select the identified Vista (which it lists as not Active) there is an error message stating I need the EasyRE for Windows Vista instead (another $19) so I was hoping to avoid another payment to achieve progress (even if it means recovering the Vista boot as you say).

If you have access to another W7, try burning a MS repair disc (Control Panel > Backup & Restore > Create Repair Disc) and see if that will work.
I'm sure I remember that the W7 version could repair Vista/7.
We used to host it here (free) as a torrent for those who'd neglected to do it themselves while W7 was still working, but MS suddenly decided that we had to pay them a license fee for doing so, which meant a separate hosting cost was incurred all of which we were obliged to pass on to the end user. Then they decided that nobody was to have it at all, so our resourceful Guru created a Linux based equivalent which could take over the task. Unfortunately the hosting and distribution costs didn't disappear.
When we originally hosted the MS disc(s), the download burden from China used up our annual bandwidth virtually overnight, hence the torrent whilst MS still allowed it.

Back