registry/file leftovers

Hello. Would anybody be that kind and present/link/ the list of easybcd (spec. 1.72) registry entries and files/folders that it leaves behind after the application is uninstalled from the system?

I dont have any issues with the program itself, must say it is a very good piece of software, but i am used to clean up any remnants of uninstalled programs. Will try to use revo, thanks for help and answers!

Sure. Revo is a great little program too for the fact you can use a portable version you can just run off a drive without having to install as well.

maratone, the EasyBCD uninstaller reverts all changes made to the system, including all files and registry keys. If the uninstaller isn't working, I can get you the full list, but it'd have to wait till I've got some free time on my hands :smile:

Addendum:

You know what, here's the list straight from the uninstaller's source code. We don't really have any trade secrets to hide here so here you are, just about the most direct & honest answer I can give you:

Registry keys:
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\${COMPANY}\${APPNAME}" "" "$INSTDIR"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "DisplayName" "${APPNAMEANDVERSION}"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "UninstallString" "$INSTDIR\uninstall.exe"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "DisplayIcon" "$INSTDIR\EasyBCD.exe"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "HelpLink" "http://neosmart.net/forums/"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "URLUpdateInfo" "http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1"
WriteRegDWORD HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "VersionMajor" "${VERSIONMAJOR}"
WriteRegDWORD HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "VersionMinor" "${VERSIONMINOR}"
WriteRegDWORD HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "NoModify" "1"
WriteRegDWORD HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "NoRepair" "1"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "DisplayVersion" "${VERSION}"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "URLInfoAbout" "http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "InstallLocation" "$INSTDIR"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "Publisher" "${COMPANY}"

WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\${COMPANY}\${APPNAME}" "Path" "$INSTDIR\EasyBCD.exe"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\${COMPANY}\${APPNAME}" "Version" "${VERSION}"

Top section is used to add the uninstaller to the "Add/Remove Programs" dialog, second section is for EasyBCD to know what version is installed.

EasyBCD only writes files to the C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD directory.

All the above should be removed automatically as a part of the setup procedure.

EDIT

The variables in the above code:
!define APPNAME "EasyBCD"
!define VERSIONMAJOR "2"
!define VERSIONMINOR "0"
!define VERSION "${VERSIONMAJOR}.${VERSIONMINOR}"
!define APPNAMEANDVERSION "${APPNAME} ${VERSION}"
!define COMPANY "NeoSmart Technologies"

Just replace VersionMajor and VersionMinor with the numbers pertaining to the copy of EasyBCD you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mahmoud, I know this is kinda off topic for this thread, but is it possible for me to run EasyBCD from a flash drive? Even though the registry entries it makes are for the minor stuff, well copying its folder over and running it on a system where it hasn't actually been installed cause the program to fail to load and function properly? I've began to switch over from a cd case of utilities for fixing computers to portable versions I'd like to all load on a USB stick. This way all I need is one simple stick to take with me when I go to fix people's computers. It would be great if EasyBCD is portable.

Addendum:

Just ran it from a flash drive and it worked flawlessly :smile: Now to try it on another computer....

UPDATE:
Works great on systems where it hasn't been installed, but loses setings. Oh well, not that important I guess...

Last edited:
Settings can be retained by extracting and copying the attached file to the same directory you're running EasyBCD from :smile:

Good software should be designed with portability and stability in mind from the start.

Cheers! :grinning:

Attachments

• EasyBCD Standalone Configuration.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 33
Awesome... Thanks! :grinning:

Now to get .net working in bartpe so I can run it....:??

Addendum:

Gotta love MS... thought I could just copy over the .net framework directory and that's a no go :frowning:
Tried using the installers... error 1506 :frowning:
Guess I could spend pain-staking hours modifying the registry, but its not worth it...
Can't wait til they port it to Vista so that the framwork isn't required. Haft to wait I guess :frowning:

But anyway, I can still run it on Vista boxes and XP as long as .net is working, so thanks again :smile:

Last edited:
.Net plugin... just when you thought it wasn't possible

Thanks! :grinning:

Addendum:

Interesting.... can you confirm this works? It seems like there are other plugins that must be installed/ran from within the pe itself. This is kind of a problem for cd's since they're read only unless the plugins are loaded into the ramdisk, though I use bartpe primarly from a flash drive so I suppose it would work. Well haft to give it a try when I get the chance. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Well I haven't given it a go yet (there's a lotta extra stuff that I do with my builds) but this looks to be dead simple as copying the main file and its .inf information for pe builder into the plugins directory and having it setup everything before building it. There is a file that is says to run in the pe itself after booting, but I think that is only to verify that it was installed properly and working (not to actually run anything to get it working).

I'll probably have this verified by the end of the day for all of those interested in doing the same thing with thier builds, but would like to say thanks for the tip. Since i'm learning to build .net applications, this may be very useful for me in the future. I would have never found this otherwise :smile:

Well some good some bad so far...

Got the Visual C++ run-time going... sweet!

But no go on .net 2.0 plugin. It is a beta and doesn't look like any more work is going to go into the project for a 3.0 and later. He's also got a 1.1 stable release, but EasyBCD (and most other useful applications I can think of) is 2.0 or later. The slipstream installation supposedly went well and stated that it completed successfully. No problems with the build either from what I could see.

The C++ run-time was required for .net and it was installed along with it by copying to the plugins folder. PE Builder picked up on it as expected.

The C++ run-time must also be installed through PE builder, but this simply copies over the files to the correct directory in the built system as explained in help. The actual .cmd script file that installs it must be ran after you have booted into the PE. The msg.exe verifies that it is working and they're both in System32. Both plug-ins come with apps that verify that it is working, which are the apps mentioned that were required to be ran from within PE itself. If the app doesn't load properly, then the plugin isn't functioning.

Anyway just an update... gonna keep trying until I get this to work. There must be something I'm doing wrong. Will let everyone know if I find anything else or manage to get everything working.

Well these tools have apparently not worked for many others and I have found a better solution... thank you sourceforge and a little paientece scanning many forums not even related to the topic per say.

Link to the project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabledotnet/

attachment.php

That donnet portable package is awesome because its only about 45mb. That outbeats the mere 400mb or so added to my build for the plugins and its a single executible.

EasyBCD is working fine technically speaking now thanks to this wonderful app, but i'm having an EasyBCD issue now. It seems to be having trouble finding my bcd store and offering to repair it. Problem is, I'm running PE off an external hard disk (rather then a CD). I would assume that it would overwrite that drive's mbr and since I know Vista is working I obviously wouldn't allow it to do that.

attachment.php

Does EasyBCD 2.0 come with a better routine for finding the BCD store that would either prevent this message by correctly finding it or by allowing an advanced user to manually select the partition for which the bcd store/Vista is housed on?

Attachments

• EasyBCD_BCD_Error.JPG
    EasyBCD_BCD_Error.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 52
  • dontnet_portable_screenshot.JPG
    dontnet_portable_screenshot.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
A note to anyone that wants to do this:

I ran .net portable on another installation without the plugins and it failed to load. Since the C++ runtime plugin was the only one that appeared to work, I'd assume that this program needs at least that on the machine in order for it to run properly.

So you have two options here:
A) Use the C++ plugin since that works fine. Just remember that you haft to launch the setup executible each time you boot PE or setup a batch file/shortcut to do it.
B) If you're a fan of the UBCD4Win project, they recently released v.3.22. This version includes the runtime builtin so you don't haft to worry about it :smile: Burrows stated in the version changes that it was added because many of the newest applications require it.

With this and the newest version of EasyBCD, no more waiting on startup repair to fix something. Just boot and use EasyBCD as you normally would to do something... say get your computer running again by restoring a backup of the bcd store using EasyBCD's friendly GUI? No more fiddling with the command line :smile:

It's great to hear UBCD supports EasyBCD out of the box now - I think I'm going to have to start recommending it more often :smile:

Back