Reinstalling XP with Vista repeatedly fails

Once upon a time I had set up a dual boot PC with Windows XP and Windows Vista. Things worked fine, except, over time, it took longer and longer for the dual boot OS selection menu to appear. Sometimes I would have to leave the machine on for 5 minutes or more before the "Choose operating system" menu appeared. Then yesterday, the OS menu (which afters right after the BIOS start up is complete) stopped appearing altogether.

Using a Windows DVD, I booted to recovery mode and discovered that the XP drive had numerous disk errors. I ran CHKDSK and fixed the drive, but still no OS menu appeared. Then I used the Vista DVD to boot from, and went to a command prompt and typed:

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

I rebooted, and hurray! the OS menu appeared! I could now use it to boot/switch to Vista. Great! But, choosing "XP (Earlier version of Windows" simply caused the PC to reboot itself and go into a reboot loop.

I then got out my XP install CD and did a "repair" install. The XP Setup/Installer launched and copied the necessary files, then alerted me that it needed to reboot the PC. So it rebooted, and the OS menu appeared, and I choose "XP". I then saw the XP logo with the progress bar, then the screen changed colors as if it was displaying my Desktop background, along with a mouse cursor, but that's it. XP never got any further. XP wasn't going to load. I tried multiple reboots, and tried multiple times to reinstall/repair XP, but always with the same results.

At that point I downloaded and installed EasyBCD to the Vista OS. And that is where I currently am.

Here's some info about my PC:

1 physical drive, 2 partitions

Drive D: (System, Active, Primary partition)
Drive C: (Boot, Page file, Crash dump, Primary partition)

Drive D: XP
Drive C: Vista

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader:

Default: Earlier version of Windows
Timeout: 20 secs
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Earlier Version of Windows
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \ntldr

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

The boot.ini file has:

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Any suggestions on how to get XP reinstalled and running alongside the currently working version of Vista?

Thanks.

Thanks, but two of the three solutions assume that you can boot up to XP. The third solution, "Kawecki's Trick", seems like a long shot, but the problem is, who these days has a bootable 3.5" Windows 98 rescue disk? All my W98 3.5" floppies have lost their magnetic integrity due to age. They are impossible to boot from. I searched my Windows 98 CD, and fdisk is not available on the disc.

You could try rearranging the physical order of the HDDs/channels so that the devices are detected in a different sequence.
The problem arises when the letter assigned dynamically, clashes with the registry entries from the letter assigned at the OS install.
If you can luck-in to a config that assigns XP the same letter as before, it'll come up.
Then make sure that you follow good practice and explicitly assign letters to all of your partitions/devices, so that you're not subject to the vagaries of boot-time dynamic allocation.

You could try rearranging the physical order of the HDDs/channels so that the devices are detected in a different sequence.

But there is only ONE physical drive in question, so how could I possible "rearrange the physical order of the HDDs"?

If you can luck-in to a config that assigns XP the same letter as before

And how I supposed to luck-in to such a config?

Back