Renaming Subentries

Xsever

Hello everyone,

Let me first congratulate you on this great software!

I was running Windows XP 32 and 64 in a dual boot machine. Then, I installed Windows 7 RTM and for some reason the 7 bootloader did not recognize XP 32 and 64. So I went ahead and fixed things up using the latest build of EasyBCD 2.0.

Now, when I boot I have 2 options: Windows 7 and Windowx XP. Under Windowx XP, I have Windows XP from D: (the 32-bit version) and Windows XP from E: (the 64-bit version)

I was just wondering how can I change the names' of "Windows XP from D:" and "Windows XP from E:"

Thanks a lot,

Hello Xsever, welcome to NST

The proccess is pretty straight forward. EasyBCD -> Tools -> Edit Legacy Entries. This well open up your boot.ini file in notepad. Adjust the titles between the ""s on each line under [operating systems]. Don't change anyting else in the file and when you're done save the changes.

This is how my boot.ini file looks like:

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /NUMPROC=3 /USEPMTIMER
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /NUMPROC=3

The entries' names appearing during the boot are different than the ones in the boot.ini file.

Update: I restarted and then I tried again and it reflected the new changes.
Thanks a lot,

Last edited:
Back