Replace Vista with W7

Let me start off by saying that I don't have a very large computer knowledge, but I know a little.

I was doing a clean install over vista. Everything would install fine. After inputting my settings and having the computer reboot, it would go into safe mode and I a window will open up with giant red letters saying error. At the very top, it would say "cannot open c:/RECOVERY.DAT. I could not get past this no matter what I did. I restarted the computer and ran the repair my computer in the Windows 7 DVD. It would load up my OS, but wouldn't let me select it stating that the disk I had was not for Windows 7.

I then used my restore disks and restored my comp to factory. I then created a partition and installed Windows 7 there. After words, I would get the same error. I went into the repair my computer again, but this time I chose Vista and went to the CMD Prompt. I entered bootsect.exe /nt60 ALL /mbr (read this from another forum). Afterwards, I restarted my computer and it allowed me to dual boot and choose 7. My problem now is, it wont always boot straight to Windows 7. It would ask me to run some diagnostics. I don't remember what it says (I will let you guys know tomorrow when I get up and reboot my computer), but it takes a few minutes, then it opens up to 7 and everything works great.

After activating Windows 7, it rebooted and went back into safe moded again. I had to redo all the steps again just to boot up Windows 7. Anyone know how I can fix this? Also, I would like to get rid of Vista (would this be safe with the issues I am having right now), I will try the methods you have posted above. What excactly does EasyBCD do? Sorry about the long post, but I really need some help. Thanks guys

Last edited:
I seem to be running into some more problems. I woke up today and booted Windows 7 on my computer only to get to the screen where it saying it needs to check the drives consistency. After about 3 min or so, it finishes (it says it deleted a bunch of files) and reboots and Windows 7 opens up. Some internet pages wont open up (like Asus.com) and I can't download anything. Whenever I try to download something, after like 5 minutes, I get an error saying unable to download, Unable to open this Internet site.

Is there anything I can do to get Windows 7 to work. I have never had issues like this before, but I have never tried to install a new OS either. DIdn't think it would be this difficult

Hi skyline, welcome to NST.
Do these problems with the W7 install happen at the 1st reboot ?
Do you have your BIOS set to boot CD before HDD ?
If not, the install will have problems because it reboots to the HDD instead of back into the CD install.

Is this a retail copy of W7, or a download ?
It sounds like the DVD might not be quite 100% OK.

Try doing EasyBCD | Manage Bootloader | Install Vista/7 Bootloader

No guarantees, but it might help.

It's a download. I'm pretty sure the dvd is good. I was able to do a few windows update, but after rebooting I get errors trying to download the others. I am doing a disk check right now. It seems to want to do this everytime I restart my computer

Addendum:

Try doing EasyBCD | Manage Bootloader | Install Vista/7 Bootloader

No guarantees, but it might help.

I will try this after the disk clean up finishes. What exactly is EasyBCD?

Last edited:
Thanks. I will try it out once chkdsk is finished verifying free space. It's taking forever, but it's at 83% right now

Addendum:

I have downloaded and installed EasyBCD on my Windows 7 partition. I don't exactly know what to do now.

Last edited:
Ok, I did that, but not sure if it did anything. All I heard was a short ding, does that mean it worked?

Addendum:

I finally got it working. I'm not sure if EasyBCD solved my problem, I think it was the recovery disk that I downloaded from here. Either way I'm up and running with Windows 7 and I have you guys to thank. Thanks alot for the info and help

Last edited:
Most likely it was an MBR issue and that "ding" was all it took to fix the problem :smile:

You are most welcome, and I'm glad your problem has been sorted out.

Back