Resizing for a Triple boot system

GDH

Distinguished Member
Hi

I want to move to a triple boot installation and therfore need to recover Disk space!

I am having trouble with shrinking my 250bg sata (with the sata protection turned off).

Each time I try it will only shrink it by 60gb, but the properties says it is only using 30gb.

I have tried defraggmenting, but that does not help.

So something is grabbing the space. It can't be the pagefile or hibernation files I think, but maybe they are locating at a specific point, which means that the HD will not shrink below a certain point.

Any suggestions that avoid wiping the HD and splitting it up before reinstalling Vista?

Thanks

Gareth

Thanks CG

I have Paragon HD Manager 8.5 which runs from Boot - but it has always screwed up when I have the above situation.

I also have Gparted - but not tried it in this situation so far.

Is Acronis free?

Thanks

Gareth

Resizing for a Triple install

Thanks CG

Why does Vista grab so much of the hd when it does not need to?

Gareth

Its because Vista is a resource hog, including space. I have a 320GB hard drive in my desktop and the pre-installation of Vista (Before I wiped the system and started fresh) on there used 150GB of it. I'd limit its OS partition to no more then 40GB and perform regular cleanup of uneeded files. This way, you have all the remaining space to do with as you desire.

Hey, is it true that Disk Director can merge two partitions of 2 different filesystems?

I'm just curious as to wether these features actually work cause I have been back and forth as to wether or not I should get a copy looking at the list of features on thier website. Most of the formatting and partitioning stuff you can do with any OS cd. I just want to make sure it'll be worth it should I choose to get a copy.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it, but it should be able to merge FAT and NTFS partitions together - nothing else though.

Justin, if you're a hard-core PC user (and I know you are :tongueout:), Disk Director is worth getting just for the fact that it's reliable, fast, and powerful. GParted, etc. may not have more features per-say, but I like the fact that Acronis is pretty much guaranteed to get the job done when I need it.

Resizing for a Triple install

Thanks to all

Using GParted has worked. Managed to get my Vista partition down to 55GB. Didn't go below that as I was happy with that. So got almost 200GB free to play with to install XP & Ubuntu.

Thanks

Gareth

Back