Restore disk for Win Vista 64

destinjoe

I thought there would be a menu to create a back up of my c drive?

Addendum:

The problem is, with Windows Vista, the installation media serves more than one purpose. It's not just a way to get Windows installed, it's also the only way of recovering a borked installation. The Windows Vista DVD has a "recovery center" that provides you with the option of recovering your system via automated recovery (searches for problems and attempts to fix them automatically), rolling-back to a system restore point, recovering a full PC backup, or accessing a command-line recovery console for advanced recovery purposes.

My question is about the underlined.

Last edited:
That is the FULL Windows DVD. That is not the Recovery CD. As it says right in your quote.

The Windows Vista DVD has a "recovery center" that provides you with the option of recovering your system via automated recovery (searches for problems and attempts to fix them automatically), rolling-back to a system restore point, recovering a full PC backup, or accessing a command-line recovery console for advanced recovery purposes.

That is not part of the options on the Recovery CD cause that is only used to Recover the system. Not back it up like the Vista DVD can.

The CD's hosted here are a small subset of a full Vista installation DVD, just enough to fix a broken OEM system that's lost its ability to boot.
That small part has not been modified in any way however, so it will offer other options which don't actually exist on the partial CD (The full install of Vista being the most obvious one).
Sorry it causes confusion, but we can't go in to MS code and remove those options.

Does the retail Vista DVD have an option to back up your PC?

It's what I always use, and I don't recollect seeing such an option there....

I dont think it does either. I havent booted to the Vista DVD in some time. But from my recollection it doesnt have that option.

It has the option to restore a backup if I recall correctly, not to make one. (No good for us Home Premium users, we don't get the ability to make one to restore from !)

Its not reliable, especially if you've got a pre-SP1 disc. Many have been unable to take the backup images and successfully restore them from a Vista DVD. While it might still work for you, I'd find another tool or even manually copy the stuff you need as an insurance policy if you're going to do a clean install and wipe out the hard drive in the proccess.

Back