Restore Problem

when i try to do a system recovery and with the recovery discs in a blue screen shows with c0000221 unknown hard error/systemroot/system32/ntdll.dll.

Addendum:

am i in trouble

Last edited:
Hi Get Smart, welcome to NST.
I've moved this post here because it doesn't seem to have anything to do with EasyBCD support.
Could you be a bit more specific about what your problem is (which OS for a start), and what it is you're trying to do to fix it, which is failing with the 221 error

c:0000221

I have windows vista or had. I made the recovery discs after I hooked up my PC. I've been having a problem trying to do a system recovery which I did once before.
When I start my PC it says:

Boot from CD

BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del

I put in the recovery disc and press Ctrl+Alt+Del. It says Windows files is loading it goes through the process of the line across and the first screen as if it is trying to start then a blue screen pops up.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

(I cannot see to the far left of the screen) L_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Then it goes on about first time stop error and restart and to follow steps if it happens again, check for hardware or software properly installed and check with manufacturer for hardware or software updates.( I cannot get into the PC at all)

Problem continues disable or remove any new installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. Which I don't know the first thing about. Then it goes into how to start in safe mode which I cannot do either.

Then there is a Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00020004,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x8C889B2B).

Did I wipe out my PC altogether. I tried going through the manufacturer and they want me to buy another set of recovery discs or send them the PC.
Can you help me to get this PC working again? I want to thank you just for replying to my problem. I'm lost.

P.S. After trying different things out thats when the c:0000221 error pops up with the ntdll.dll

Last edited:
Is the recovery disk one you created from the recovery partition on your PC when you first got it, or is it one you downloaded from here.
If it's the one created from the OEM partition, it should be capable of completely "factory resetting" your PC or restoring the C: disk. If it's our disk it can't be used to reinstall Vista, only fix a broken boot (not your problem unfortunately)
Can you boot the recovery disk you made, successfully on another PC to verify that it's OK or find if it's broken?
If the recovery disk is no good, then I think you'll have to go with the "buy a new set" option from the OEM, or you can borrow a Vista DVD from a friend and reinstall Vista using the serial number from your PC not the one on the DVD. This will give you a good "vanilla" copy of Vista but won't include any bundled extras which you'd get on the OEM disk.
Unfortunately, I can't find any information on that error which knows of any way to fix it other than an OS reinstall.

Yes I have a system recovery set from the PC itself. I did a system recovery once before with it and had no problem. When I put the discs in on this PC I'm able to see all the stuff that is on the disc.

When I start the computer it says BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. Thats as far as it goes.

Then when I put the disc in it does all that stuff from my last post.

Let me ask. I can't use a BCD program unless I can get windows vista to pop up, is that the way it goes.
I have no idea what a BCD program does exactly.

Last edited:
hi smart,
have you tried fixing the bootmgr before having to reistall (in the box factorystate) from home made recovery discs? what make is pc.If you have deleted the Tattoo from the hard drive or it has been replaced then you will need to copy the tattoo from the MB the home made cds wil look for this and if noot found istallationn will fail (glue part error.
the people running this site provide a link (below) burn and boot from this as the cds you have do not have a recovery option (vistape)
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ from the (repair)recovery enviroment it should fix by itself if not reboot to reovery ope cmd and type bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
Sorry if nnot work ....beg borrow and reinstall as Terrry suggests.
ps have you tried the F# /delete at post ? or has making the cds deleted the hidde partition?

(personal note to self)
when i next buy a factory pc ,remennber to phone support and say pc is broken regardless if true! ask for master DVD . (cost after warranty £50+ ?)

Last edited:
Have you tried booting the recovery disk on the working PC (not to do anything to the good PC obviously, just to verify that the recovery environment comes up OK.
If it does, follow the advice in your previous post. Go into the BIOS and make sure those memory options are turned off.
(The BIOS splash screen will have instructions somewhere telling you how to get in
It's the "delete" key on my Asus mobo, other vendors use Function keys or "Esc", it'll be somewhere on the initial screen you see as you boot)
Once in there, just have a look around. It's fairly intuitive, they're all very similar. Look for a memory option in the 1st menu, then wing it from there. If you feel you've done something silly or wrong, don't worry, nothing changes till you "exit saving changes". You can search around and investigate in the BIOS with complete safety. It won't do anything without you specifically forcing it to.
If you're sure that your recovery disks are good, you can use a 3rd party partition manager (gParted can be downloaded free if you don't have one) to format the HDD before you attempt a factory reset, but investigate all other possibilities first.

Terry
I have windows xp on the PC I'm using now.When I put the recovery discs I can see the folders if that's what your saying.

Addendum:

Have you tried booting the recovery disk on the working PC (not to do anything to the good PC obviously, just to verify that the recovery environment comes up OK.
If it does, follow the advice in your previous post. Go into the BIOS and make sure those memory options are turned off.
(The BIOS splash screen will have instructions somewhere telling you how to get in
It's the "delete" key on my Asus mobo, other vendors use Function keys or "Esc", it'll be somewhere on the initial screen you see as you boot)
Once in there, just have a look around. It's fairly intuitive, they're all very similar. Look for a memory option in the 1st menu, then wing it from there. If you feel you've done something silly or wrong, don't worry, nothing changes till you "exit saving changes". You can search around and investigate in the BIOS with complete safety. It won't do anything without you specifically forcing it to.
If you're sure that your recovery disks are good, you can use a 3rd party partition manager (gParted can be downloaded free if you don't have one) to format the HDD before you attempt a factory reset, but investigate all other possibilities first.
I have Windows XP on the PC I'm using now, when I put the discs in I can see the folders it that's what your asking.

Last edited:
No, I mean you actually have to put the disk in the CD-ROM tray, and reboot the machine from the CD. Any disk will display its contents when you look at it in explorer from a running Windows system, but that's no indication that it's a bootable disk.
You need to find out if the reason why it can't successfully boot on your broken system, is just because the system is broken, or if there's something wrong with the recovery disk too.
Once you're sure it can boot successfully, you can proceed with more confidence to fix the broken PC.

I put the dvd in the dvd rom and that's when the error comes up
c:0000221 hard disk error
sytemroot\system32\ntdll.dll

The discs that I made don't do anything on the PC i'm using now. Which is windows xp.

I downloaded the system recovery from the site that you sent me to. I downloaded utorrent but i cannot get nero 8 to write the program so I right click the file and send it to an mp3 as i only have one player on the bad PC anyway. Is that okay to do.

I put the recovery disc in the dvd rom as well as the mp3 into the usb port.

System recovery starts I get the thing about the language I go for that, another window pops up about doing a recovery I do that, and the discs starts running (this is on the PC I'm trying to get running again) disc 1 is done it asks for the other disc I put the other disc in it gets to 100 percent another window pops up but i don't get to see it very long and then a blue screen pops up about the computer stopped and things to do and restart and some more technichal information.

I need to ask about this I had a problem with my old PC couldn't get it up and running I went online with the manufacturer's website and they had me wipe out my whole computer. Is there anything wrong with that? and, would that be possible to do with the PC I'm having a problem with now. and, if so without any problem, do you know how I could do that. Just to mention the old PC (5 yrs old) I had the problem with I was able to do a system recovery and was able to get it up and running.

Last edited:
You get the iso file using the .torrent you got from us using Utorrent. Take this iso file and imgburn and burn it to disc using the instructions found here.

Last edited:
From what you describe, your recovery disks which you made when the PC was new seem to be OK.
If you can't use them to successfully restore your C: disk (which is what I'm assuming you are trying and which fails with the 221), then your only option is the complete "factory reset", where you wipe the entire HDD and replace it as it was when you first got the PC.
If you want to rescue any personal files (photos, documents etc), get a free bootable Linux distro and use it to copy stuff off the HDD before you do the factory reset.

I gave up. I ordered the recovery set from the manufacturer. I used the recovery set I made once before and had no problem. I don't know what I could of did that they wouldn't work again. The PC I was trying to fix was only 4 moths old and they wouldn't give me the discs without buying them. I figured being under warranty they should of just gave them to me.That happened with an older PC I had as well. But, I was able to get a recovery set of discs from the manufacturer no charge. My old PC, they (the manufacturer) had me wipe out the hard drive the last time and do a re-install which worked well. Thank you much for the help. All

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Sometimes you haft to play hard ball with them. Usually they'll give you stuff when your under warranty if they've guided you through thier entire list of things you've probably already done any way. Dell for example on my desktop had me re-install the OS two to three times over the phone in a course of a month before I could finally convince them what I really needed was a new motherboard.

Any way, good luck and hope things get back to normal after you get the discs.

Back