Run Windows 10 Embedded Product Key Tool under Windows PE?

bdwilcox

I found a thread on the forums here claiming that OEMKey.exe will run under Windows PE. I tried building a Windows PE boot disk and adding the basics and it gave me a SxS error. So I then tried the suggestion in the thread to try running it from a Shift+F10 command prompt after booting from a Windows 10 boot installer disk and it returned the error that OEMKey.exe isn't compatible with this operating system. My Windows 10 boot disk is a Windows 10 v22H2 64-bit boot installer disk. Is OEMKey.exe only compatible with certain Windows 10 boot disks?

Looked through the whole section and there's nothing there. The Windows PE boot drive I created I used the Microsoft ADK and installed most base packages like Scripting and .NET support. The Windows 10 Boot Disk was created using the Microsoft WIndows 10 Media Creation Tool. Neither worked to run OEMKey.exe. Interestingly, if I run OEMKey.exe from a Hiren's Boot CD environment, it works so there must be some kind of library that OEMKey.exe needs that Hiren's loads but the standard PE and WIndows 10 Boot disk don't load.

In this thread:

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi stated: "You can run our OEM Key Tool under Windows PE, so if you have it on a local disk and boot into the Windows setup DVD you could launch it from the command line (shift+f10 on the welcome screen)."

Granted, it's an old thread but Windows PE probably wouldn't have changed much since then as the ADK is pretty much the same. I can't imagine the Windows Setup Disk losing capabilities (but it is Microsoft, so...) I'm thinking there must be something that needs to be loaded in addition to PE such as a C++ module or a Visual Basic Common Control module. Whatever it is, it must get loaded by Hiren's Boot CD because it does run under that environment.

Back