Run XP, Win7 & Ubuntu

I think in Vista its called "Uninstall Programs". I'm not sure what's it called in Win 7, but it might be the same thing (since it is basically Vista2).

Control panel doesn't show much. In Programs & Features -> Uninstall a program
All I see are the ones I have installed: Flash player, Adobe reader, EasyBCD etc.
None of the "system" programs are there.
But if I look at C:\Program Files & C:\Program Files (x86) there are all the system programs.
And there's a folder for Microsoft.NET but it doesn't have any "granularity" of the components to show versions 2, 3 etc, just a big DLL called Microsoft.mshtml.dll and some smaller ones and there's no "uninstall .NET" program.

I think this concept of the various "parts" of the Win7 .NET install causing my problem may not be right given it seems pretty much impossible to "engineer" any variation on the standard Win7 .NET install. That is how can I have made my install different from other people's?

Is there another possible explanation for EasyBCD crashing on startup?

In "Programs and Features" select the option on the left panel "Turn Windows features on or off". Uncheck all .Net framework software and than press OK. Go ahead and re-enable it after its finished updating everything. That helping any?

OK, tried it - turned off .NET (unchecked all) and just to test with no .NET ran EasyBCD - got exact same error. RE-enabled .NET - exact same error.

BUT - I also tested for .NET at that time with netfx_setupverifier.exe utility and it reported all .NET versions verified even though those "windows features" were turned off.

I understand that Vista and Windows 7 are very similar and that EasyBCD runs in 64bit mode. But can anyone confirm they have run it under Windows 7 64bit? My Windows 7 is an OEM version but I can't see that would be a problem?

Addendum:

Hi again,

I missed a step in that last test, did not spot the "must reboot for changes to take effect" message (hidden under another window). But after reboot - .NET 3 option was turned off and the verification utility showed only .NET 2. But still no joy with Easy BCD.

Last edited:
Hi Justin,
I downloaded the file dotnetfx35setup.exe and tried to run it - Got the "Do you want to allow this program to make changes.." pop up. Clicked "Yes" and - nothing, no install wizard, no error message. Easy BCD still won't run

Well... .net on your machine may not be repairable. Might need to re-install Windows unfortunately.

(0xc000007b) w/ EasyBCD 2.0 build 76 on Windows 7 64 bit

Have downloaded and installed EasyBCD 2.0 build 76

When trying to run it on Windows 7 64 bit I get:

Application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)
same as the others.. :frowning:

Edro

Hey Edro,
It doesn't help but i'm glad someone else has the same problem as me.

I wonder if we have anything in common?

At time of initial install I had a blank formatted SATA disk for Win 7 and an older partitioned drive with Ubuntu on it. I also have another SATA drive with XP which uses the Ubuntu GRUB loader file for multi boot when it is plugged in but it was not connected for the Win 7 install. But once Win 7 installed I reconnected it.

I am going format the Win 7 disk from XP then reinstall Win 7 this week and try again - with XP not connected but IDE (Ubuntu) connected - I can unplug this also if it might be a problem - can't think why it would though.

I'll then try installing Easy BCD as the first thing after the Win 7 install (no other variables) before I reconnect anything.

Dave

Addendum:

OK I may have found the culprit

I wiped disk & reinstall Win7, select no automatic updates option. Once installed.
1. Install Easy BCD - IT WORKED
2. Install Trend virus checker - still works
3. Install ZoneAlarm Extreme Security - Easy BCD crashes on startup as before.

Found an entry in "Bug Central" here re someone who had iReboot and after install of Zone 9.1 had a similar crash to me.

Tried download of .NET 2.0 for x64 and the install said "already installed" so no idea how to "repair" the .NET

Have joined Zone forum to see if anyone there knows of this.

Addendum:

Oh - in Zone I did grant EasyBCD full permissions

Addendum:

Next I went to Windows updates and got all the high priority updates (first set since install) They installed and required a reboot and guess what - EasyBCD worked!!!!

So if I had to guess at a summary of this issue:
1. EasyBCD works straight after Win7 install
2. Install Zone breaks it
3. Cannot reinstall .NET to repair it at this stage - Windows says - already installed
3. First set of Windows updates fixes it.

What I did in the previous install that was different was to install Windows updates straight after the initial Windows install (default setting was "automatic download and install). So then when Zone install broke EasyBCD we could not find anything else to fix the .NET problem.

Only worry now is if I get an update to Zone- will it again break EasyBCD?
Maybe the Zone forum will come up with an answer.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this.

Cheers - Dave

Last edited:
I've got a similar scenario, but a slightly different question.

I've got 2 SATA and 1 IDE hard drive in my system. Windows Vista is on SATA 1. Windows 7 and Ubuntu are on SATA 2. IDE only contains data files.

When I installed Windows 7 it did create that 100MB partition. No big deal. When I ran the installer the SATA 1 (Vista drive) was the primary (1st boot) device in BIOS. Still no problem. When I installed Ubuntu the SATA 1 (Vista drive) was still the primary (1st boot) device in BIOS. This resulted in GRUB being installed to the MBR of SATA 1 Vista drive.

My concern is this: If I install EasyBCD will it still be able to boot my Ubuntu Linux OS? Previously I had trouble with EasyBCD complaining about GRUB Loader not found, and could not boot Linux anymore.

If I install EasyBCD, which drive is best suited? Should I make SATA 2 (Win 7) primary (1st boot) in BIOS, load EasyBCD to that SATA 2 drive, and allow that to be my boot manager? If I do that, then each time I tell it to boot Vista I'll have to go through the GRUB menu again, which would be a pain. Ideally I'd like 1 boot manager to control booting to any OS without taking me through a 2nd menu.

Just to complicate things even more, I'm going to load OS X onto my remaining partition on the SATA 2 (Win 7) drive. Can EasyBCD also manage booting into Mac OS X? I think there's a Mac icon in there, but haven't tested it yet.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
Looks like I spoke too soon - I rebooted again to reconect other SATA and check BRUB loader still working (it was) but this reboot caused the failure to re-appear.
To prove it was Zone, I uninstalled it and EasyBCD worked again. Reinstalled Zone and, after its reboot to complete install EasyBCD was broke again.

So at least Zone did not leave anything behind to cause the problem and would this mean that if it is "breaking" .NET then its uninstall is "mending" it. So I think that the theory that Zone is breaking .NET is not correct, can it be "blocking" EasyBCD in some other way? Here is a reply from a Zone forum moderator:
<Hello,
ZA does not use or need any .net version on the PC to run.
We have never programed our products to use or need .net installed.
>
I will ask them if they know of any way that Zone would prevent a program from running where that program runs if Zone not installed.

Addendum:

BTW should I close this thread and start a new one with the subject "Zonealarm causes Easy BCD crash"?

Last edited:
It's their problem Dave but I'm glad you were able to get EasyBCD to work. Time for them to fix their software. You might want to consider an alternitive to Zone?

I guess so but I've got the best part of a year to go on my subscription.
Can you confirm that if I set my boot stuff up with EasyBCD and then, once everything is OK, i can reinstall Zone and don't need to run EasyBCD for the boot stuff to keep working.

A friend at work here suggested I run sfc on the win7 box to see what dll's etc have been altered from the MS released versions - might tell me if Zone has repleced anythng with a non standard version.

On that can I assume that Easy BCD does not install any of its own versions of shared code modules?

Addendum:

Another piece of the puzzle - I also have Zone installed in Win XP and EasyBCD works OK there...???

Last edited:
Once you've used EasyBCD to get your BCD looking the way you want it, it plays absolutely no further part in the life of your OS. You could uninstall it if you wanted. It won't affect the way the system boots.
It's just like carrying a tool-kit in your car. It has no effect by its mere presence, only if you use it to change something.

I've got 2 SATA and 1 IDE hard drive in my system. Windows Vista is on SATA 1. Windows 7 and Ubuntu are on SATA 2. IDE only contains data files.

When I installed Windows 7 it did create that 100MB partition. No big deal. When I ran the installer the SATA 1 (Vista drive) was the primary (1st boot) device in BIOS. Still no problem. When I installed Ubuntu the SATA 1 (Vista drive) was still the primary (1st boot) device in BIOS. This resulted in GRUB being installed to the MBR of SATA 1 Vista drive.

My concern is this: If I install EasyBCD will it still be able to boot my Ubuntu Linux OS? Previously I had trouble with EasyBCD complaining about GRUB Loader not found, and could not boot Linux anymore.
Hi Tom.
First of all, EasyBCD is NOT the bootloader if that's what you're getting at, so installing EasybCD alone will have absolutely no affect on your Ubuntu boot. It is only if you tell EasyBCD to write the MBR or something, that you would lose the ability to boot into Ubuntu (at least, until you added a Linux entry in EasyBCD).
If I install EasyBCD, which drive is best suited? Should I make SATA 2 (Win 7) primary (1st boot) in BIOS, load EasyBCD to that SATA 2 drive, and allow that to be my boot manager?
Once again, EasyBCD is not the boot manager, it is only a tool for modifying the Vista/7 BCD, which tells the bootmgr where to find the OSes on your computer.
Personally, I'd put the Win 7 HDD first in the boot sequence, install EasyBCD in W7, then add a Vista and Ubuntu entry to the BCD. If the Ubuntu you have is 9.10, you'll need to select the "Grub2" option in the Type menu of the Linux tab, then just hit Add Entry. No further configuring should be necessary. When you add the Vista entry, you want to be sure to point it at the drive letter of the Vista partition (as seen from W7).
If I do that, then each time I tell it to boot Vista I'll have to go through the GRUB menu again, which would be a pain. Ideally I'd like 1 boot manager to control booting to any OS without taking me through a 2nd menu.
Not exactly...
You'll have one boot menu with entries for all systems: W7, Vista, and Ubuntu. Selecting Vista will load its winload.exe directly, without going through the Vista BCD (which is I guess what you pictured). So you will indeed have 1 boot manager. However, depending on the grub configuration on the Ubuntu partition (which is stored in the file located at /boot/grub/grub.cfg), you might get the grub menu when you select ubuntu, and haft to select the first option to load ubuntu, but that can also be fixed easily enough by modifying grub.cfg's timeout.
Just to complicate things even more, I'm going to load OS X onto my remaining partition on the SATA 2 (Win 7) drive. Can EasyBCD also manage booting into Mac OS X? I think there's a Mac icon in there, but haven't tested it yet.

Thanks,
Tom
Yes, it can, but be advised, installing Mac OS X will overwrite the W7 MBR, and you'll lose your boot menu. However, you can get it back by simply running Startup Repair from the W7 dvd.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back