Safe mode in dual boot

daddyd302

Hi, I just got Vista Ultimate last week, and dual boot for the first time with XP. Since Vista was installed first, every time I try going into safe mode, it always goes into Vista. Is there any way around this? I need to get into safe mode when I uninstall my old drivers for newer ones, and use driver sweeper.

Hi daddyd, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

I'm not sure why your PC isn't going into safe mode, but try this instead:
Start | Run | MSconfig

Check the option for diagnostics mode, save, and reboot.

This will get you into a Safe Mode-like bare-minimum interface you can do that from.

Hi daddyd, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

I'm not sure why your PC isn't going into safe mode, but try this instead:
Start | Run | MSconfig

Check the option for diagnostics mode, save, and reboot.

This will get you into a Safe Mode-like bare-minimum interface you can do that from.
Hi, thanks for answering. No it does go into safe mode, but only in Vista. I can't get it to go into safe mode into XP. When I press F8, it always choses Vista, and I can't chose XP. Will what you suggest get me into XP in safe mode? I'm new at this stuff and I don't wanna kill my computer, I already installed Vista and XP for the second time already in two weeks. Yeah, I'm a n00b, lol.

OK, you have to choose XP from the normal boot menu, then the VERY SECOND you hit enter to load into XP start smashing that F8 button.

Should get you into XP Safe Mode without a problem :smile:

Back