Same drive letter

The BCD does not point to XP.
It points to the "system" partition which contains the NTLDR boot.ini file.
That points to XP.
You don't need to tell EasyBCD where XP is, it will locate it automatically.
The facility for specifying manually is included if you want to take advantage of EasyBCD's ability to boot multiple XPs from the BCD (MS bootmgr will not let you do this - It's a Neosmart-only facility)
Even then the BCD still doesn't point to XP, but to "system".
You still need to tell EasyBCD the ultimate location of each XP even though that information isn't in the BCD, because EasyBCD creates boot.ini for you too, and that's where the information goes.

Thanks Terry, I do follow and although win 7 and Xp both show in the boot menu,Xp will not boot up. This is a fresh install and it worked ok untill I tried to setup dual booting! I'm at a loss what to do next.

Start tapping F8 immediately after selecting XP from the boot menu to interrupt the chain to NTLDR.
In the XP extended boot menu, select "no automatic restart" and the XP boot should halt with an error code instead of just rebooting.
Use the code to search for a probable cause of your woes.

Nope, that didn't work either. Just bought the XP recovery disk from Neo, ran it three times and although it stated that it was repaired, the boot list never came up and I then had to repair Win 7 startup. This is really getting me down. I used easy bcd for years without any problem.

Now that you've startup-repaired W7,
a) make sure you're using the latest EasyBCD
b) add an XP entry (auto-configure) and don't alter what EasyBCD sets up
If XP still isn't booting properly, post a W7 Disk Management screenshot of your configuration and the contents of EasyBCD "view settings" (detailed mode)

Screen shots

No it's exactly the same. Here are the two screen shots. Mike

Attachments

• Disk management.png
    Disk management.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 1
  • BCD set up.png
    BCD set up.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 2
Back