Saving Corrupt Dual Boot System

paulos

Hi guys :smile:
I've dual-boot 32bit XP & 64bit Vista. Up until now, its been all good, using EasyBCD & iReboot (Both Awesome - Thanks for them :grinning: ). Last night I managed to screw up my Vista installation:lup: and now cannot boot into Vista. I've tried the startup repair tool and a couple of other bits, but no luck. Fortunately I can boot in XP still.

So my question is, as I can still use XP and see/modify the Vista files, is it possible to 'back them up' from in XP, re-install Vista and restore from the backup?? If so can you recommend a tool/program for backing up & restoring (free is nice :wink: )

Thanks Paulos

Last edited:
Theres too many tools to count. I don't personally use any of them really. Old fashioned copy/paste works just as well.

Thanks for the reply.
So I can just Copy this files (every thing on the drive) to a seperate location, re-install Vista and then copy back?? Sounds too easy.....
Games and Utilities I've install would work too?? I was assuming they'd nedd re-installing too. Which given the huge ammount of stuff installed, this is what I am trying to avoid.

You'll haft to re-install software, but you'll want to copy over your data files (your music, your work files, your office files, etc). Don't copy the whole drive.

No avoding software re-install. You're re-installing the OS.

Thanks again dude :smile:
I was hoping for a complete backup, maybe a disc image or somthing........but if thats outta the question, then so be it.

If/when I re-install Vista, do I need to re-set/re-configure EasyBCD, or will it just carry on as before?

If/when I re-install Vista, do I need to re-set/re-configure EasyBCD, or will it just carry on as before?
After reinstalling Vista, you should have a dual-boot with Vista & XP, though the XP entry might now be displayed as "Earlier Version of Windows"...
If so, then you can just rename the entry in EasyBCD, then you're good.

EasyBCD is Windows software, so you would need to re-install it, should you have the need for it. Its not the bootloader, only an app that configures it.

Back