SBS2008 Boot on drive D: rest on C:

webmaster

This program does not state this OS in its list of OSs. Is it OK for SBS 2008?

I have an install with these files on D:
$RECYCLE.BIN
Boot
System Volume Information
WSUS
Bootmgr

Will it get these onto my RAID 1 partition C: so I can physically remove D:?

Does the program actually delete the files on D: (so if it fails I have to recover from install (repair) disc)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks. I take it then it's OK for SBS 2008 (suppose that is the same as Windows Server 2008). C and D are on different HDDs but not sure why I need the BIOS unless you mean make D a non bootable drive?

Since it copies the boot files and sets the target location "active", that's all that's necessary if they share a drive.
If they are on different drives, both sets of boot files will be "active" and the one that takes priority will be the one higher in the BIOS boot sequence (which will be the one you're already using).
So although you have copied the boot files it will still be using the old copy till you change the BIOS boot sequence and you will still be unable to format that partition.

Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

Back