Settings fields blank after 2.4 upgrade or Win10 reload

ejp

Hi, Been using EasyBCD for years with no problems. Only use it to toggle between my main Win10 OS and Win7 on separate SSD to run old apps that 10 does not support.

After either 1) upgrade to 2.4, or 2) Win10 reinstall in "save all apps" mode (it did not actually save them all), the settings window is blank and everything else is grayed out so I can not manually set it all back up again from scratch like I did on day one years ago. See below. Still works however with the normal menu on boot-up and I can toggle between 10 and 7 all day.

Also get popup msg shown below when I run EasyBCD which I have no idea how to respond to. Significant to note that when I boot to 7, I can run rev 2.4 just fine, but of course it's looking at the data on "C" on Win7. Worse case, if I ever want to add a 3rd boot device or make other changes, I can always do it from Win7, but would prefer not to have to.

Odd thing is years ago when I first discovered this cool app I figured out how to set it up intuitively with no instructions for 2 and some months ago 3 then back to 2 drives with no difficulty. Found it pretty intuitive till now. But...a lot of IPA has come and gone since, so...

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• no  bcd entries.JPG
    no bcd entries.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 4
  • bcd notice.JPG
    bcd notice.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 4
Check > Tools > Options > Automatically load...
Looks like you're pointing it to an invalid BCD (your backup is not a valid BCD)
Remove anything in there.
Alternatively use File > Load System BCD and EasyBCD will locate the proper BCD for you.
(There's nothing wrong with your BCD, you're just not looking at it)

First, thanks for reply!

Sorry, neither work. #1: I don't know what path to give it. From Win10, gave it the path of a bcd backup on 7's "C" and got same pop-up in original post about "Would you like to manually.....". I don't know where to load from.

#2: file-->load system... again gives same pop-up "Would you like to load manually..." It does not seem to know where to look, nor do I. See nothing called "BCD..." other than backups I just made on Win7 (and then copied to Win10 "C").

Sitting in Win10, tried a BCD Backup/Repair from main menu by pointing it to path of backup file on win7 "C" that I'd just made and get execution error shown below. Copied the backup file to local "C" and get same error (2nd image below).

Can you explain this: A new user installs EasyBCD for the first time on main OS, say Win10. The app stores it's data locally on C somewhere I assume and he then programs it to also boot to a 2nd OS on a different HDD. He the boots to that 2nd drive and edits the data that comes up in EasyBCD to add a 3rd HDD OS. Then he boots back to Win10, the 1st drive, then opens EasyBCD. How does it know about the previous edits since I assume they were stored locally on the other "C" (which of course is not "C" when back on Win10, it's now "A" in my case)?

The basic problem would seem that on 10, there is no data store nor BCD folder for it to find. I'm guessing that something got clobbered when I did the full Windows 10 reinstall, but selecting "preserve all data/apps". It did nuke several other obscure apps and drivers it didn't like. Took me an hour to get my Epson scanner working again. But then, I'd expect EasyBCD to reinstall whatever it needs on doing the upgrade to latest rev if it finds stuff missing.

Attachments

• exe error.JPG
    exe error.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1
  • exe2 error.JPG
    exe2 error.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 1
The app stores it's data locally on C somewhere I assume
You seem to misunderstand what EasyBCD is.
EasyBCD manages the contents of MS bootmgr's BCD store for you without you needing to get to grips with the syntax of the MS provided bcdedit command-line utility.
It doesn't store data in a repository of its own, no matter which of many multi-booted Windows systems you may execute it from. It operates on the BCD which is in control of booting all those systems.

(The situation is more complex if you've independently installed many Windows systems with no other system visible to them during Setup, in which case each will have created separate BCDs, and multi-booting, instead of being automatic as it is with a conventional adding a new OS alongside a previous visible OS, is complicated by the presence of many BCD's one of which will be "live" and in charge of the boot, and will be the default used by EasyBCD, and the others will be dormant, but can still be pointed to and edited by EasyBCD using the options described above)

EasyBCD, without any other overriding instruction, will expect to find the BCD in the active partition of Disk 0 (or the EFI System partition on a UEFI PC)
Since you seem to be having so much trouble locating it (though it's obviously there or you wouldn't be booting). I suspect that your boot drive is not disk 0.

Can you post a screenshot of your Disk Management please.

Here you go. My disk system. I think I get what it is since I've been using it for years for dual or tri-boot. but had no idea how it did it's magic till you explained it.

WIn10 is my primary day to day system with 7 infrequently if I want to run something that won't run under 10. Or as an emergency known working system if/when Win10 flakes on me as it does from time to time.

Thanks

Attachments

• disk map.JPG
    disk map.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 2
Disk Management flags have the following meanings

"boot" = "this is the system you're running"
"system" = "this is where I found the boot files for the currently running system"
"active" (on the first HDD in the BIOS boot sequence) = "this is where I started the search for the boot files"
"active" (on subsequent HDDs in the BIOS boot sequence) ="this is where I will look if I don't find something in the MBR on the first HDD"

So EasyBCD should easily locate the BCD in your W10 partition.
When you tried File > "load system BCD", what message did you get ?
If you see the manual selection dialogue, just navigate to C:\boot\BCD
(the file is "super hidden" so if you don't see it on your sysres, make sure you have folder options set to make it visible

Back