Should I reinstall XP?

No way to see XP clients on her network if she was using a Vista box?

My network is mixed with 3 XP and 4 Vista boxes with no issues whatsoever in being able to see everyone. From what I can see the support person she was talking to didn't know anything or they are more desperate for Vista sales then I thought...

And to add to the frustration, it seems like Vista was released just yesterday and thier already talking about Windows 7 for late 2009. MS can sure be greedy when they want to be I guess... :x

Last edited:
Just FYI: The Link Layer Topology hotfix is already included in Windows XP SP3 for those of you using it.

No way to see XP clients on her network if she was using a Vista box?

My network is mixed with 3 XP and 4 Vista boxes with no issues whatsoever in being able to see everyone. From what I can see the support person she was talking to didn't know anything or they are more desperate for Vista sales then I thought...

And to add to the frustration, it seems like Vista was released just yesterday and thier already talking about Windows 7 for late 2009. MS can sure be greedy when they want to be I guess... :x

Personally I don't trust any new OS from MS. I use a wait and see approach.

I used Win98SE for the longest time because IMO I felt that up until XP the other systems were to buggy. Even then I didn't upgrade to XP until approx. 3 years ago. As for Vista, I didn't have much choice, the desktop came preloaded with it. But I've learned to like it, but still frustrated with not being able to install some programs.

IMO MS is always too quick to put new OS on the market before working out all the bugs and it seems there is always some hacker who will quickly find a way to hack it.

Addendum:

I bought 3 matching MSI wireless adapters, (2 PCI cards and 1 USB stick), when I signed up with Orange.
Their blurb only mentioned that the router (Inventel Livebox) was wireless, so I assumed I'd need the 3 for this system, my backup PC, and my wife's Thinkpad.
When it arrived, I found it had 2 ethernet ports too, so though I have a wireless card in this PC, it's doing nothing at the moment, as I have a hardwired connection to the router. This PC (VIsta/XP) uses the wired connection, the backup (XP) connected wirelessly with ease using the Orange setup CD, but the Thinkpad proved to be more problematic. Being W98, the Orange setup just says "b*gg*r off - unsupported OS".
The Orange KB has a section on connecting W98 which begins "start by making a wired connection to the ethernet port", which would be a easy if it had one. Needless to say, it doesn't.
I contacted Orange support, asking if I really had to buy an ethernet card for the PC, just to get the wireless setup working, only to throw it away as soon as the setup completed.
Their less than helpful reply was "Only Vista and XP are supported. We will not respond to questions about any other OS"
Unfortunately my 20 years in Technical Support was in an era where the 200 users on a 7Mips $5,000,000 mainframe were connected in a building 1/4 mile away by 50 miles of coax cable, so I have absolutely no experience of wireless networking, and trawling the net for useful information has so far proved fruitless.
The adapter software installed easily enough on the Thinkpad, but no amount of tinkering with the networking parameters ever produced a connection.

Have you tried setting up a static IP on the Thinkpad?

Last edited:
Back