Sick Vista Disk Can Ubuntu Boot DVD Help?

My son (the impoverished student) reported to me that his Tosh notebook wouldn't boot. I downloaded & used a couple of times the Recovery CD via this site which worked a treat. Got Vista Home Basic working, but it is very unstable & really won't run anything. Windows Explorer fails a few times as do most other programs. I suspected a disk problem.
I booted the DVD containing Ubuntu 9.10 & it reported errors on the disk - 71 bad sectors! so no wonder Vista was having a bad time!
So what I'm thinking is if I can use the DVD (not installed but running from the DVD) to salvage as much of the data files copied to a USB drive. I then have a choice. I can either try the manufacturers recovery partition or disks, but suspect this won't totally overwrite the duff data areas or try formatting the main partition & try the recovery disks rather than the partition.
Failing that it's a new disk & either Ubuntu or Windows 7.
Any ideas suggestions?
Disk is almost certainly dying...

boot from the recovery disc > command prompt:

chkdsk /r c:

Run it until no errors are found.
Well things improved. Don't get errors in Windows but oh so slow & get the SMART disk error before booting into Windows telling me I should backup data & replace the disk.
No problem I can do that & if my son has the recovery disk(s) we can get Vista back on there. Failing that maybe he'd like to try Ubuntu...
Many thanks for the help.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure thing, I would start looking for a hard drive replacement though if Windows continues to complain about the disk.

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
...especially if the BIOS does, too.