[SOLVED] XP/Vista Dual Boot - solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, have 2 dual boot problems, this is how the system is structured.

Disk 0 (C:\): Windows Boot Manager, Windows Vista

Disk 1 (D:\): Windows XP

C:\ --

bootmgr

D:\ --

ntdlr
boot.ini
ntdetect.com

Windows Boot Manager loads D:\ntldr and then it comes "invalid boot.ini file, booting from C:\windows\, ntdetect failed". But if do like this all works:

C:\ --

bootmgr
boot.ini
ntdetect.com

D:\ --

ntdlr

Why ntldr executing from D:\ searches files in C:\?

The second problem is whatever locale i set Windows Boot Manager remains in english. Keep in mind have all languages in C:\Boot checksum verified with fresh installation compared against.

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Attachments

• BCD.jpg
    BCD.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
It's part of the boot architecture of XP that all of the boot files must be on the active partition. This applies even when XP is booted as an option from Vista -> W10. Hence you cannot point the BCD to D.
EasyBCD will automatically locate XP, make copies of its boot files on the active partition and configure them correctly to chain back to the real location if you let it "auto-configure".
If you think it made a mistake and you "correct" the BCD, you will stop the boot from working.
Read all about it here
Windows XP

Since xp boot process searches boot files only in the active partition on disk 0, will disable the active partition on disk 1 and move ntldr from D:\ to C:\ with other xp boot files.

Thanks for the help

However, my Windows Boot Manager locale remains the same (always english) even if i change it and all files involved are SHA1 checked against ones in a fresh installation. BCD settings are in the first post.

Last edited:
Are you using EasyBCD ?
If not, download a copy (free for home use) and set the locale in "edit boot menu"
Incidentally, if you move the XP boot files, you'll also need to edit the boot.ini to change the ARC paths which will be different when pointing to the other disk.
If you use EasyBCD to create the XP entry automatically, that's one of the things it will do for you, as well as making copies of all the other necessary XP boot files. (It doesn't alter your XP partition, just makes additional copies in the correct place)

No doubt it's simpler, just don't need it.

Regarding Windows Boot Manager locale: did you ever encounter a problem like that?

No, but being English, the default is all I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back