Some advice appreciated.

Hi folks,

Just registered so I hope my questions dont seem too ignorant on my part to all you experts. :smile:

Been using EasyBCD for a while and have found it a great utility but still need some things explained.

I have 2 hard drives divided into smaller partitions and all of my OS are on the one drive.

First of all I installed xp on C (the active primary partition)
then windows 7 on both D (primary partition) and E (logical partition). Everything working fine so far.

However if for some reason xp becomes corrupt then neither of the windows 7 on D and E will boot either, I just get a message at boot MBR missing or something to that effect

1 Is there a way to make D the active primary partition (I understand E can't becaise its a logical drive) that will boot either of my three installed OS and give the choice at post?

2 is there a dos utility that I can run that would enable me to make a prtition active if computer won't start and maybe let me browse the drives to see what exactly what is one them?

Thanks very much for any help
Joe

Changing the Boot Partition - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
will make D your active boot drive if you wish.
Any bootable partition manager will set D active.
Here's a free one
Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to manage partition directly with partition manager bootable CD..
W7 Control Panel > Backup & Restore > Create repair disc will give you a way of recreating the W7 boot files on the active drive if the PC won't boot.
Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Back