Starting Vista with Grub in the MBR ?!

It happened just by mistake:

- I insatalled Vista on an empty disk.
- I installed EasyBCD, I started it just once and I didn't change anything.
- I installed Suse 11.1 on an extended partition and Grub in the master boot record, by mistake.

It looks impossible, but now Grub fires Vista, despite ntfs fs, just firing hd(0,0) and chainloader +1. I reinstalled everything again with the same result. Cool!

Is this a question or a success post?

With the way you currently got it, everything appears to be working fine.

If you want the Vista bootloader back in the mbr, fire up EasyBCD in Vista. Go to Manage Bootloader -> Reinstall the Vista bootloader -> Write MBR. You'll need to add an entry fur suse in the linux tab on the Add/Remove entries page.

Yeah, there is nothing remarkable about Grub being able to boot Vista... :wink: Just as long as the entries are pointed at the right place, and configured correctly, in your menu.lst, then you can boot just about any OS from Grub.

Cheers,

Jake

If you look at another NST product HnS, it is a customized grub4dos which sits above bootmgr and NTLDR and calls them as necessary.
Bootmgr itself calls NTLDR when required, and with the aid of EasyBCD can call grub or Darwin.
Which boot manager is first in the queue is determined by the Partition Boot Record in the boot sector of the active partition, and there are many ways you can arrange for your multi-boot to function.
Have a read of the link Jake gave (Hi Cool, nice to meet you by name). It's very educational and should be required reading for anyone wanting to dual boot before they wade in and experiment.

Have a read of the link Jake gave (Hi Cool, nice to meet you by name). It's very educational and should be required reading for anyone wanting to dual boot before they wade in and experiment.

Yeah, that's my name, but I kind of liked the username "Coolname007" so that is why I signed most of previous posts with that name instead, but Jake is my real name :smile: But I'm a little confused...which link are you referring to? :wink: I don't believe I posted one in this thread. If you actually thought you were posting in this thread instead, then yes, I posted the link to the multibooting guide there. :brows:

But no harm in posting it here too, right? :smile:

Multibooters - Understanding the Multiboot Process

Cheers,

Jake

I must have been really tired last night !
You're right, I'm conflating different threads.
Thanks for putting the link in to avoid confusion for Capo.

Back