startuprepair2 v2

dayne

Hello everyone,

I am new here and am not particularly tech-saavy, and everyone seems quite friendly, so I hope you can all bear with me and shed some light on my current situation.

I split up what happened into three parts. If need be, I can upload pictures of my computer screen. I believe I use an hp paviloin dv6000 laptop, with Windows Vista Premium Home Edition.

My laptop has started working again after I took the Vista Recovery CD (that I downloaded from the following website) out of my CD drive in attempt to replicate what had happened so that I may take pictures of it. However, I am still worried that it may happen again randomly, or that there is a virus on my computer that is corrupting files, as the very first blue screen I remember was "so and so file is either missing or corrupt."

I was wondering why this problem occurrs seemingly randomly, as well as whether my solution to the problem was an actual solution, so that I may contact tech support if needed.

I will be going onto my laptop, as this computer I am currently on seems to be lagging and I cannot upload the pictures of my screen.

Please shed some light on the situation if you have time. Thank you very much. I appreciate it. I suppose since my laptop is working now, I am just worried the same way as if I had vague symtpoms of illness that suddenly disappeared.
(1) - Beginning of the Problem
A similar problem to this

occurred for me. I left my laptop on all day on top of my bed, and it was still working as I let my little sister use it in the evening. However, later I found that it had shut off. I thought that it must have overheated, so I felt it, and it felt cool. I turned it on, and that's where the problem first appeared.

I tried to replicate what happened so that I may take pictures of it:

First came the blue screen:

STOP: c0000218 (Registry File Failure)
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemroom\system32\config\SOFTWARE

Collecting data for crash dump ...
Initializing disk for crash dump ...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dmp complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.
Then came the Windoes Error Recovery Screen:

Windoes failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windoes Normally.
(Use the arrow keys to highlght your choice.)

Launch Startup Repair (Recommended)
Start Windows Normally
Seconds until the highlighted choice will be selected automatically: 24
Description:
Windows is loading files screen ...

Then the repair screen:

Then the diagnostic screen:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2 - Windows Vista Recovery/Installation Disc

I searched up the diagnostics "startuprepairv2 and autofailover and corrupt registry," which led me to the website I stated previously.

Thus I downloaded the 32-bit version as my friend told me to download, extracted with uTorrent, and wrote the iso (winrar archive type item) onto 48x CD-R using ImgBurn.

I have tried placing the CD in while I turn my laptop on, as well as turning my laptop on with the CD already inside. They have two different outcomes.

(1) The first try, a screen came up similar to the "launch startup repair or startup windows normally" with more options, such as safe mode, WinRE, and other repair-type options including Do not automatically restart after encountering a problem.

I chose startup repair which brought me to the same areas. Whether I clicked Finish or Cancel, it would either shut down or restart the same cycle over and over again by itself.

(2) When I would leave the CD inside and pressed F8 to boot the CD, it would do the same thing until about the third try, where it brought me to a Windows Login and Install screen.

I did not backup my laptop, so I could not system restore. When I did startup repair, it said it could not detect a problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
3 - Removal of CD
After several restarts and cycling of seeing the same thing over and over again, I decided to try and replicate the original disc booting screen, by removing the CD while turning on my laptop (and then placing the CD back inside when it was turned on). However, the startup looked different, so I decided to see what was happening. It turned on just the same, except much slower than usual.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you again, and I hope my worries be placed to rest by such a friendly and helpful community.

Hi dayne, welcome to NST.
Try booting the CD you burned in a working PC to make sure it's OK.
You should see "hit any key to boot from CD" as your 1st message after the BIOS splash.
If you don't see this, there are 2 possibilities
1) you didn't burn the CD properly and it's not bootable.
2) you don't have the BIOS boot sequence set to boot CD before HDD.
I'm slightly concerned by your reference to a .rar file.
The torrent is an ISO file, but it can be misidentified if you've allowed some 3rd party app to "own" the .iso association and you don't have "known file types" displaying on your system.
If you're going to join the ranks of those of us who fix our own systems, step one is to be able to see all the things MS tries to keep away from prying eyes (and fingers).
Set your folder options like this and make sure that you don't do anything (like unpack) to the downloaded file. Just burn it "as is" with Imgburn. Follow these instructions.
When the CD is booting properly you'll see screens as displayed here.
Don't follow these instructions however (you're not trying to fix a broken boot process), but on the second screen instead of "startup repair", you can select "system restore" if you want to go back to an earlier restore point.
If I understand you correctly, you're actually up and running again anyway ? If so you can use system restore directly from inside windows if you want to take your OS back to an earlier, more stable state.

Back