Struggling to get Kubuntu to boot.

Hi, I have been running vista on a sata raid setup for a while and I just recently added another pata drive and installed XP to the first half and now Kubuntu 7.04 to the second half of the drive.
I have vista and xp booting fine but I just can't figure out what to do to get linux booting.

I am not sure if Kubuntu installed GRUB as I did not specify to install it on the linux partition and I had to completely rebuild the bcd via the vista recovery console.

If I add a linux entry I seem to get a blank menu.lst and if I try to boot it complains something about neogrub.mbr.

I have little idea how to configure/modify these files and I can't seem to access the documentation.

Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

I still can't make head nor tail of some of the grub syntax, e.g. kernel

I'd prefer to just use neogrub but I don't understand how to find the necessary details for configuring menu.lst, specifically the kernel and initrd entries.
Kubuntu 7.04(Feisty?) is the version I have installed.

If in the end I do have to boot into Kubuntu via a live cd, is it worth re-installing grub to the linux partition while I'm in there?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
You can reinstall GRUB with just Super GRUB Disk, no need for the full live CD.

You can reinstall GRUB with just Super GRUB Disk, no need for the full live CD.
Is it necessary to install grub? I was hoping I could use the grubless entry in EasyBCD.
I have the live cd to hand and if I boot into Kubuntu I can probably find my kernel version etc. to add to menu.lst.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
In that case you don't need to install GRUB.

Just edit menu.lst and use Grubless Linux. Be sure to delete any existing Linux entries in EasyBCD first, though.

Success!

Many thanks CG.
First attempt with 1.7.1 and it is now booting Kubuntu.

Adding this to menu.lst did the trick:
Code:
#Kubuntu
root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic ro root=/dev/hdb2
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
The ability to basically edit menu.lst in GRUB4DOS is also very nice.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Awesome news.

Is that C:\NST\menu.lst or /boot/grub/menu.lst?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
It should - but no matter, I wanted to be sure it was the NeoGrub file that was being modified :smile: