Stupid Hang-up

Linux_wannabe

Whenever I try to install NeoGrub, I get an error. I'm certain it's a small issue, but it derails me, nonetheless. I'm not sure what needs to change. The Error: "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately." Value cannot be null. Parameter name: path.:wtf:

Continuing doesn't get me anywhere.

Do you want me to paste the details?

Thanks in advance!

Hi linux_wannabe, welcome to NST.

Can you instead paste the contents of the clipboard after doing Diagnostics | Copy Debug Data?

I'd be happy to, if I can figure out what you're after. Do you want me to tick 'copy debug info to clipboard' and then click 'Attempt Recovery' from the 'Diagnostics Center' button?

If not, then I need more specific instructions.

Thanks a bunch!

Okay,

Here it is:
Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
default                 {8dbe19a4-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}
resumeobject            {d53e3a22-af3b-11dc-9d8b-ff7102c36242}
displayorder            {8dbe19a4-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}
                        {8dbe19a6-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}
timeout                 10

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {8dbe19a4-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic (recovered) 
recoverysequence        {572bcd56-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e994107d}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {8dbe19a6-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}
path                    \NST\nst_grub.mbr
description             NeoSmart Linux

As you can see, I attempted the Gutsy installation since my last post. It didn't complete successfully, however. At Step 5 of the Guide, I had specified 'sda5'. My bro-in-law told me to try specifying(hd0,5) if that didn't work. Should I repeat the entire Setup again entering 'hd0,5' at Step 5 or is there a shortcut I can take instead?

Sorry that I didn't wait for your answer. I don't even know if I need NeoGrub--this is all over my head!

I won't get "ahead of you" again, I promise.

Thanks!

Your windows boot manager is missing a property:
EasyBCD -> Useful Utils -> Power Console:
Code:
bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} device boot
exit

Then delete the "NeoSmart Linux" entry.
Then create it again, selecting the Ubuntu partition from the list.

How's this, Guru?
Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
device                  boot
default                 {8dbe19a4-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}
                        {8dbe19a7-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}
                        {8dbe19a8-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {8dbe19a7-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}
path                    \NST\NeoGrub.mbr
description             NeoGrub Bootloader

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {8dbe19a8-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}

Guess I'll cross my fingers and reboot. I will do some reading and try to figure out how to add the XP installation to things...

I appreciate your expert and most-helpful assistance!

Addendum:

Here is the latest:
Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
device                  boot
default                 {8dbe19a7-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}
                        {8dbe19a7-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}
                        {8dbe19a9-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {8dbe19a7-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}
path                    \NST\NeoGrub.mbr
description             NeoGrub Bootloader

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {8dbe19a9-aa02-11dc-87bb-cbc69127fde2}

I am unable to boot Ubuntu. I haven't tried setting it as the default for fear of not being able to get back to Vista...

I'm wondering why when NeoGrub Bootloader is set as default I am not presented with a choice (Vista just starts).

Can someone please clear me up on that? Do I need to Write MBR?

I thought that I had gone through the step-by-step pictorial guide accurately. Must have gotten something wrong, though...

Last edited:
it's not a problem with the Ubuntu portion of your steps... it's something to do with how vista installed its bootloader.

Can you delete the non-Vista entries above, issue this command in the power console, then add them again?

Code:
bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
exit

I have done as you requested and am about to reboot to see the result. I am quite nervous messing with this stuff as I don't really know what I'm doing and, quite stupidly, don't have a backup image. So, if you suddenly stop hearing from me it's because I screwed something up and am unable to post on the forum.

So, hopefully you'll keep hearing from me!

Thanks, man!

Addendum:

We're makin' progress! :smile:

System now starts up with 3 choices. When I tried booting 'Ubuntu', I got the following message on a black screen: "BootPart 2.60 Bootsector (c) 1993-2005 Gilles Vollant BootPart
Loading new partition.
Bootsector from C.H. Hochstatter
Cannot load from harddisk.
Insert Systemdisk and press any key."

When I attempt to boot 'NeoGrub Bootloader' I get a slew of errors, though I didn't write down the messages.

Happily, it still boots 'Windows Vista (tm) Recovered' as well as it ever has. (Which is why XP Pro is installed on it's own partition someplace on the disc...)

What other info can I get for ya, sir?

Last edited:
OK, we're going to get through this!

Delete the Linux entries. You're going to have to reinstall Ubuntu - we've pinned down a bug in the Ubuntu installer that sometimes doesn't install GRUB to the bootsector for some stupid reason.

As you can see on the Ubuntu page (Ubuntu - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki), in Step 6 you should use /dev/sd** instead of (hd*,*). Ubuntu seems to lose track of the correct place to install GRUB otherwise under certain circumstances.

That sounds easy enough! Because it just wouldn't be me to actually take things in order, can you tell me how to go about adding the XP Pro partition to the Bootloader? I think Vista is a bloated piece of garbage and that XP would really work much better on this system. (It only has one gig of RAM)

Hopefully, before too much longer I won't have to deal with Windows at all, thanks to your expert assistance! I am so grateful, man--you're awesome!

I'll keep you up-to-date on my progress, dude.

Thanks,
Darin Polk

Mahmoud,

You 'DA MAN!!!

Just finished installing a bit under than 250 megs of Ubuntu updates. It's working just beautifully and I couldn't be happier... I will read the info you suggested at that URL and I'm sure I'll be booting XP, Vista, or linux quite soon! It's startling that the goal I've had for the last 3 years is now in plain view and I really thank you from the bottom of my heart. NeoSmart ROCKS!!!!!

Thanks again!,
Darin Polk

I'm really glad you got it to work - honestly it never should have taken this long if only all the kinks and bugs in the Ubuntu setup had been known/worked out before.

Let us know how it goes with the XP install when you get the chance.

I surprised myself quite a bit when the XP booted right up the first time I tried it! I'm SO GLAD I ran into EasyBCD--it's $%^*ing amazing!! And you've been an enormous help, Mahmoud! Now, I just need to soak up as much info as I can about linux.

Do ya think you could explain the whole 'erasing Vista Restore Points, partition hiding' situation to me without writing a whole book? If not I'll just add it to my list of mysteries which I go through life ignorant about. No biggie.

Thanks again, bud!,
Darin Polk

sure, it's simple enough:

When you boot into XP, you lose Windows Vista's restore points.
Solution: none.
3rd party Workaround: Vista Hide 'n Seek

It's quite simple Darin,
The Vista and XP system restore points are mutually incompatible but use the same files. Vista is backward compatible and won't harm XP's restore points, but XP is not forward compatible and sees Vista's restore points as corrupt, so it resets them.
There is absolutely no chance that XP will be rewritten to prevent this, and even if you tell XP only to put system restore on its own drives and ignore Vista's - it will still see them and reset them.
There are various suggestions for registry edits etc in MS forums but I've only ever heard one person claim any success with them. None worked on my system.
What does work however is to use a program like Neogrub to hide Vista when XP is booted. I used this successfully for months, although it did require a two stage boot.
Now happily Guru has written HnS which automates the whole process and does it all with one boot level by making itself the top level loader.

Back