suddenly get fatal error msgs on dual boot win7/ linux, what went wrong?

EJD

Hi, Was happily using EasyBCD the last 3 weeks for dual booting Win 7 home premium and Linux Mint (Ubuntu based). Suddenly, I get a Fatal Error message when I try to boot into Mint. Have to use the 'Esc' key instead, and this works fine. I have no Tech background, so was happy with how easy EasyBCD made dual booting until now. (PLease keep your answers simple:smile: )
I am booting into Mint from a high quality usb, which has a fixed drive letter, and which obviously isn't damaged, as it boots fine using Esc.
About a week before this happened, I used EasyBCD to change Mint to the default, and set to wait for me to choose. This has also been working fine.
Maybe a Grub update issue? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I cannot solve your problem. Sorry :frowning:
... but I do want to let you know that I went through my own turmoils with Mint around a week ago.
I was trying to set up a dual boot with XP, and after a lot of computer pain and hair pulling I finally got it to boot. (I know Windows very well.. Troubleshooting and fixing, but nothing about Linux.).
My joy only lasted 24 hours because the very next day Mint suddenly stopped taking my password. I tried every fix I could find on the forums and on the Ubuntu site but nothing worked. So, I ended up going with Kubuntu (Ubuntu + KDE). Its been rock solid except for the stuff that Windows has done to mess it up. No problems with install. No problems with passwords or anything else. A rock.
So if you have continual problems with Mint, I highly recommend Kubuntu since I have traveled the same path.
Best of luck on the computer adventures!

Hi Mark, Have been using Mint and haven't had any dramas with it. Just easybcd not able to boot mint suddenly. Am booting mint fine with esc key. Would like easybcd to work.Glad you found a distro that works for you. Tried a different one before mint and it was a nightmare so gave it up.

Back