the master I need help!

Deadpixel

Distinguished Member
So I have 32bit Home Premium on my SATA HDD, and I reinstalled XP on my 60GB IDE HDD. Well I forgot to delete the boot entry on the vista home premium, and now it says error loading operating system, and I tried start up repair but that did nothing. I am trying to just boot into XP were hopefully I could delete the EasyBCD from the SATA, and then add a boot entry for XP.

Is that what I should do? Or is their a way to delete the easybcd from the command prompt?

Please help man

Addendum:

Ok I am in Xp right now, but I am unsure what to do :frowning:

Last edited:
Okay are you trying to get rid of Vista all together? Or get ti so that the system dual boots?

Okay use EasyBCD and go under the Manage Bootloder section. Use that to rewrite the Master Boot Record. From there make sure you have your entries for Vista and XP under the View settigns tab.

After that make sure you have all the appropiate boot info on the drives. Like the boot.ini, NTLDR and NTDETECT files on the Vista drive and such. If anything reloading the BCD will get you Vista back but crash XP till we can get the boot files fixed.

Okay use EasyBCD and go under the Manage Bootloder section. Use that to rewrite the Master Boot Record. From there make sure you have your entries for Vista and XP under the View settigns tab.

After that make sure you have all the appropiate boot info on the drives. Like the boot.ini, NTLDR and NTDETECT files on the Vista drive and such. If anything reloading the BCD will get you Vista back but crash XP till we can get the boot files fixed.

I guess Im having some troubles what your saying lol.

easyBCD detected something was wrong and *fixed it* Then It says Vista boot is on the C drive, but I am in XP right now, and XP is the C drive. So when I go to add a boot entry they both show up as C\.

Also when I get past the boot up screen of my motherboard, it shows which hard drives are *seen* or are going to be used, and the SATA does not show up.

What drive is the Vista drive in XP under My Computer? That is the drive where the boot files for XP need to be.

I don't get the problem.
Have you tried using EasyBCD from within XP to change the Vista entry to point to drive D:\ instead?

I don't get the problem.
Have you tried using EasyBCD from within XP to change the Vista entry to point to drive D:\ instead?

I cant lol, it does not show a boot entry for XP, only for Vista, but there is no boot menu once I get past BIOS.

Ok now it shows that I can add a boot entry for XP on the different hdd.

My question is what do i assing the XP boot as. C or D? right now (in xp) Xp is on the C drive, but in Vista its the D drive, and vista is already set up as the C drive in the easybcd boot thingy.

Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device                  partition=D:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default                 {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
displayorder            {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
                        {ca2214cf-ed19-11dc-ad3c-000476d3ff70}
toolsdisplayorder       {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout                 5

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Vista
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
nx                      OptOut

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {ca2214cf-ed19-11dc-ad3c-000476d3ff70}
device                  partition=D:
path                    \NTLDR
description             Microsoft Windows XP

Addendum:

Just tried the settings above and no boot menu to decide what to boot into :frowning:

Last edited:
Means the Vista MBR is missing.
EasyBCD -> Manage Bootloader -> Install Vista Bootloader

I assume you mean click reinstall the vista bootloader, and then press write mbr?

If so that to does not work, however I did move my SATA from SATA II to Sata port I, so maybe that's the problem.

Is it sounding like a reinstall would be best lol?

I assume you mean click reinstall the vista bootloader, and then press write mbr?

If so that to does not work, however I did move my SATA from SATA II to Sata port I, so maybe that's the problem.

Is it sounding like a reinstall would be best lol?

Make sure the boot device order is correct in the BIOS.

I feel like an idiot. Either deleting easyBCD from my Vista fixed the problem, or reinstalling the MBR and forgetting to change vista hdd to boot first.

Call me stupid please.

It was the latter - EasyBCD only acts as a go in-between for the bootloader, so removing it wouldn't have affected the MBR.

No need for name calling: Live and learn!

It was the latter - EasyBCD only acts as a go in-between for the bootloader, so removing it wouldn't have affected the MBR.

No need for name calling: Live and learn!

Ok so my final question is, i need to add an entry for XP, using easybcd I should be able to change that right?

Back