The Random Chat Thread

Tim Horton's is a Canadian company. He was a famous hockey player and opened the chain when he retired from sports.

Your story reminds me of an experience years ago in a liquor store in San Francisco. I was lined up waiting to pay for my Gin or Vodka or whatever and out of the corner of my eye I saw this vision at the end of the line....a woman in a beautiful Blackglama Mink Coat, the only problem was she has purple rollers in her hair and one couldn't help noticing the nightdress under the coat and pink fluffy slippers... I thought, "I know I'm in America now". A clear case of 'money but no class'.

Yeah, I was first introduced to Tim Hortons in Mississauga, so I couldn't pass the chance of dropping by one of the few US branches.

Honestly, in my opinion, the Canadians like their coffee too weak; it tastes very watered down compared to the American standard (Dunkin Donuts, etc.). But the bagels and other baked goods at TH were definitely worth the 20 minute detour.

But definitely a good point about money and no class... Alas....

I think the coffee strength varies from place to place. My local Tim's has good coffee as does Dunkin' Donuts but Starbucks coffee is vile, at least my local one is. I think our food is better generally.

Mississauga is just a few kilometres west of me...where Toronto Airport is. It has probably the world's oldest and longest serving mayor Hazel McCallion (age 90 and served 33 years...LOL). She's quite a feisty old broad....as the yanks would say.

I think Starbucks is vile wherever you go, but it's unfortunately the best american coffee available here in Amman... and it costs an arm and a leg, too.

In the UK try Costa. They seem to outnumber Starbucks here.
(but I'm a tea man anyway. My wife is the coffee drinker)

I think Starbucks is vile wherever you go, but it's unfortunately the best american coffee available here in Amman... and it costs an arm and a leg, too.

I can imagine....;-(

In the UK try Costa. They seem to outnumber Starbucks here.
(but I'm a tea man anyway. My wife is the coffee drinker)

When I was over in November I was grateful to see not a single Starbucks anywhere, but I know they are there - somewhere

I like coffee first thing in the morning and then tea in the afternoon. How very English of me. :wink:

Addendum:

I should add, and I know I'll be shot down in flames for saying this, but my local McDonald's has remarkably good coffee.

(I'm quite partial to a supersized Egg McMuffin - if I can crawl out of the apartment early enough to catch them for breakfast).

Last edited:
No, I agree, McDonalds does decent coffee. Honestly, it's not a very hard thing to do so I'm always surprised why so many fail at it!

Going by popular rumor, coffee is a lot harder get wrong than tea; but I'm not much of a tea drinker, so I wouldn't know.

We have a Costa here, and it's rather good... but, if you can believe it, it's classified as a 4 and a half star restaurant and costs that way. I like their monster-sized drinking "mugs" (if you can call them that! I prefer the term "soup bowl") :grinning:

One of the things that held me back from getting the Fuji mentioned in posts 3-11 was the 10Mp sensor compared to 12-14 on the competition.
I guessed (correctly) that the new year models might corrrect that and here it is.
http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/presscentre/news/index.php?id=1430
thumbnail.php

Watched some amazing super-closeup video of sea otters shot by Simon King ( a BBC wildlife film maker) and I caught a view of the Camera he was using which was a sony High-def model, but sporting a Canon lens.
Just looked it up on the web and found it costs $55,000 (the lens). No wonder the pictures were so stunning !

!!!!!!

Lens are crazy expensive...... I'm super happy with my 100 dollar 50mm f/1.8 though, it's supposed to be one of the best general purpose lens and yet the cheapest: Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D Review

I didn't know Sony could use Canon lenses....

I think this was the camera, and you'll note from
" equipped with a universal standard 1/3-inch bayonet mount mechanism to make lens changes faster and easier"
that the various manufacturers seem to have got their act together with regard to standardization unlike in the SLR market. (here you can see multiple compatible lenses)
Note that the camera is a fraction of the lens price.

Back