The Store import command is invalid

Thor

I ran into this message:
EasyBCDEdit%20Store%20import%20command%20is%20invalid.JPG

The Store import command is invalid. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.

I assmue there is an error in the coding.
What happened to cause message... I had my machine running Vista & XP. I had 2 partitions of XP on one Raid 5 Drive and another on non-Raid. When I first installed Vista it only found one XP system installed. I could get to the second drive with XP only at startup from bios changing the first boot drive.
I wanted to delete on partition and use another, this is where my boot problems started on the raid 5 drive.
Disk%20Management.JPG

Raid5 Disk 0, Partition 0 "Vista [D:]", Partition 1 "Deleted XP", Partition 2 "WinXPMC [C:][Boot]", Partition 3 "HP_RECOVERY [G:]"
non-Raid Disk 1, Partion 0 "HP_PAVILION [E:][Boot]", Partition 1 "HP_RECOVERY"

I can boot to the WinXPMC & the HP_PAVILION partitions. I tried to use the Vista installation DVD and chose the repair option. Vista DVD tells me it is recovered.
I can not boot to Vista. I tried looking at the BCDedit.exe but was concerned about making changes here so instead I listed copied pasted the information before I do anything else.

D:\Windows\System32>bcdedit.exe
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device unknown
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {default}
displayorder {ntldr}
{default}
bootsequence {memdiag}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 5
Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device unknown
path \ntldr
description Earlier Version of Windows
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {default}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {f2f77d43-fb67-11dc-a0c1-f0adf659cd03}
nx OptIn
D:\Windows\System32>bcdedit.exe /v
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device unknown
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {f2f77d42-fb67-11dc-a0c1-f0adf659cd03}
displayorder {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}
{f2f77d42-fb67-11dc-a0c1-f0adf659cd03}
bootsequence {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 5
Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}
device unknown
path \ntldr
description Earlier Version of Windows
Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {f2f77d42-fb67-11dc-a0c1-f0adf659cd03}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {f2f77d43-fb67-11dc-a0c1-f0adf659cd03}
nx OptIn
D:\Windows\System32>

Now I downloaded EasyBCD and ran it with .NET framework 3.5 installed with SP1.
I have tried many simple changes with no Vista Booting. I then read something about running BCDEdit.exe boot manager without Vista on XP. I attempted to follow these instructions. then ran EasyBCD again NO Vista Boot.
I clicked on File/Select BCD Store browse to C:\boot\BCD
Under View Settings "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".
I clicked on "Diagnostic Center" / "Reset BCD storage" / "Rescue my System!"
The following are the messages I recieved...
EasyBCD%20attempt%20recreate%20BCD%20reg%20from%20scratch.JPG

EasyBCD is now attemping to recreate the BCD regisrty from scratch. In order for this process to succeed, we need you to pick the letter of a Windows Vista to be the default boot target. Once you've picked the corresponding letter, press OK to continue. Vista Drive Letter: D:\
I presses 'OK'

The Store import command is invalid. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
I presses 'OK'

EasyBCD%20Registry%20not%20Detected.JPG

EasyBCD has detected that your BCD boot data and MBR are either not from the latest version of Windows Vista, or don't yet exist.
If you'd like EasyBCD to correct these issues, press OK. This will modify the MBR and requires that you have Windows Vista installed on this machine. You can cancel at any time. Press 'NO' to exit.
I pressed 'YES'.

EasyBCD%20could%20not%20auto%20detect%20Boot%20Device.JPG

Unfortunately, EasyBCD could not automatically detect the drive letter of your boot device. This can be caused by a non-standard MBR, use of 3rd-party bootloader, or a failed Windows Vista install.
To proceed, please enter the letter of your boot drive below. The boot drive is identified by the presence of special files and folders like boot.ini, ntldr, and bootmgr. If you continue to see this error message, please run "Reset BCD storage" from the Diagnostics section. Correct Boot Drive: C:/
I pressed OK.

EasyBCD%20attempt%20recreate%20BCD%20reg%20from%20scratch.JPG

EasyBCD is now attempting to recreate the BCD registry from scratch. In order for this process to succeed, we need you to pick the letter of a Windows Vista to be the default boot target.
Once you've picked the corresponding letter, press OK to continue.
Vista Drive Letter: D:\
I pressed OK

I presses 'OK'

This just loops untill I click "Exit" which closes the EasyBCD.
I am still unable to boot to the Vista partition. I am considering reinstalling Vista to the Empty partition and try to re run the EasyBCD to see if I can get it to use the Vista I already have installed but will wait for your input.

I am reporting this as a bug due to the message {Run "bcdedit.exe /?" for command line assistance.

Thank you in advance if you have any other suggestions to try.

THOR
PS It does not appear to let me use attachments nor upload my screen shots here on these forms. I had to retype everything to get the message here. I also do not see my signature Picture in the Preview Post.

Edited:
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 5 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Windows Vista
BCD ID: {Default}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\System32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: WINXPMC
BCD ID: {6a482ec1-6b64-11dd-9c70-0018f34bb4a2}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

Last edited:
Hi Thor, welcome to NST.
If you want to post screenshots etc, click "go advanced" below the quick reply box and then use the paperclip to attach files.
You can start by reposting your disk management screenshot.

Hello Terry60, I do not see "go advance" button any where on screen. I do however see the papper clip next to the smiles. The papper clip is non functional. When I goto Additional Options - Attach Files - Manage Attachments is also non functional.

If you noticed I typed it in under the IMG line for each Pic that did not appear.

Raid5 Disk 0, Partition 1 "Vista [D:]", Partition 2 "Deleted XP Partition", Partition 3 WinXPMC [C:][Boot]", Partition 4 "HP_RECOVERY [G:]"
non-Raid Disk 1, Partion 1 "HP_PAVILION [E:][Boot]", Partition 2 "HP_RECOVERY"

Disc 0 is my Raid 5 [4 drives total]
Disc 1 is non-Raid drive the orginal PC Drive

Ok this Option appeared after I posted.
Here are the missing files Images.

Disk Management.JPG

EasyBCDEdit Store import command is invalid.JPG

EasyBCD Registry not Detected.JPG

EasyBCD could not auto detect Boot Device.JPG

EasyBCD attempt recreate BCD reg from scratch.JPG

PS It took me a few tries to get the images in had to delete and upload them 3 times till they all appeared.

Hi Thor, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

1. Bug in EasyBCD (thanks for spotting it): When "Select BCD store to use" fails, further commands issued in EasyBCD will fail.
  2. When you run EasyBCD from Windows XP, you don't have to manually select the BCD store, it'll use the right one automatically. It doesn't matter what OS you're using EasyBCD from - it'll speak directly with the bootloader on your bootdisk and get the data from the right BCD file. The only time the "select bcd store"feature is to be used, is when you use EasyBCD to edit the bootloader on a removable device, namely a WinPE 2.0 CD or USB stick. Using EasyBCD to fix the bootloader on the same PC, you shouldn't need to use this menu item.

Back