thinkpad z60T sound card woes

co556guy

I have a z60t that I just installed vista on (not because i wanted to, it's just what I had avaliable). Everything else is working great, but I cannot get my speakers or headphone jack to work at all. Vista says that it has found "high definition audio device" and installed it, but says that the speakers are not installed. Under the "high definition audio device" it has two audio jacks, but does not recognize that I have integrated speakers. I have tried google, and nothing I have found works. Any suggestions?:rage:

I read that also, but I installed Vista, and I have no sound, and vista does not recognize my speakers. If there is some information that you would like me to post for diagnosis. I also did try the xp drivers to no avail. I think I'm going to contact lenovo and see what they say.

Vista is not supposed to recognize your speakers.
For all intents and purposes, internal and external speakers are no different.

Vista only sees the chips in the sound card. The speakers connect to the sound card, and are independant of the whole process.

Have you tried uninstalling the sound card in Device Manager and letting it re-install?

Yes, I have tried that. I just tried updating BIOS. Am going to uninstal, restart, install and see if that works (probably not).

Addendum:

I just got it to work. God windows in a finicky mofo isn't it. Flashing bios and restarting, THEN reinstalling driver seemed to do the trick.

Last edited:
Hi, I met the same problem. Before I upgrade my BIOS, I found the BIOS version will only work with Embedded Controller Program version 1.16 (or higher), however my Embedded Controller Program version is 1.14. I try to update my Embedded Controller Program to version 1.16, but it requires BIOS version 1.19 or higher. Do you have any suggestions to update them?

Thanks a lot.

Yes, I have tried that. I just tried updating BIOS. Am going to uninstal, restart, install and see if that works (probably not).

Addendum:

I just got it to work. God windows in a finicky mofo isn't it. Flashing bios and restarting, THEN reinstalling driver seemed to do the trick.

Hello oldusername and Welcome ot NeoSmart Technologies!

This is a wierd issue. As you have to have a updated BIOS to update the Embedded Controller but you cant update the BIOS requires you to have a higer version of the Embedded Control.

Is it the same laptop?

Addendum:

After looking at the website here it seems that there is some bootable CD Images that you can use to update these things. Have you tried that?

BIOS Upgrade Downloads - ThinkWiki

Last edited:
Hi Makaveli213,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, my laptop is Z60t too.

I checked the website, it says that the bootable CDs have the same requirements.

Perhaps you need to upgrade to Embedded Controller Program to version 1.15 first, do the BIOS thing, then upgrade to 1.16?

Back