TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE FOR DUAL BOOT of VISTA & WIN7RC

aggieoo7

OK, I have a C: drive with 93 gb free of 139 gb which is a RAPTOR HIGH SPEED and a huge
1TB F: drive which contains my data folders only. I would like to try and shrink C: drive
to 40gb which is my vista64 bit drive. AT THIS POINT, DO I MERELY INSTALL WIN7RC?
OR DO I RUN EASYBCD FIRST TO SETUP FOR LATER BEING ABLE TO BOOT TO EITHER
VISTA OR WIN7RC BOTH WILL BE 64 BIT VERSIONS. Keeping in mind, I want to use
the large drive for my data folders for both operating systems.
NOTE I do access ALL OF MY MICROSOFT OFFICE DATA FOLDERS ON MY F: DRIVE.
I presume I will be able to access same folders I did in VISTA without duplicating them.
Please clear up the sequence of events in their proper order for hopefully no lost of
either drives. I guess it would be:
1.SHRINK THE SMALL FAST C: WHERE VISTA ALREADY IS
2. INSTALL WIN7RC
3. SETUP EASYBCD
Is this correct sequence?
Thanks in advance for your help.
ps. my OUTLOOK .pst is big with over ten years of email with multiple boxes...no way want to replicate another on f:

Last edited:
Hello aggieoo7, welcome to NST

Shrink the C: drive inside Vista using disk management. With the free space format a new ntfs partition. Label it W7 so you know what is being store there and than boot from W7's DVD. Install Windows 7 to the new partition and the dual-boot between Vista and W7 should automatically be created for you.

NO NEED FOR EASYBCD..DUAL BOOT IS AUTOMATIC?

SEEMS TOO EASY AND DO NOT EVEN NEED EASYBCD...RIGHT?
WILL:
1.SHRINK VISTA ON C:
2. FORMAT UNUSED AS LABEL AS W7
3. INSTALL W7
DUAL BOOT WILL COME AUTOMATICALLY.

IT'S HARD TO BELEIVE IT IS THAT EASY. I GUESS THAT IS WHY I DID NOT GET DUAL BOOT
FROM OTHER 32 BIT SYSTEM THAT HAD XP AND WIN7BETA ON AND JUST INSTALLED
WIN7RC WITHOUT SHRINKING OR REFORMATTING. NO DUAL BOOT HAPPENED WHEN
I DID THIS TO ANOTHER SIMILAR 2 DRIVE SYSTEM. TRICK MUST BE THE FORMAT IN UNUSED
THEN LETTING WIN7RC JUST INSTALL WITHOUT ANY REFORMATTING.

THANKS FOR THE INFO AND I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED...

YOU DO NOT NEED << to type like this. Please edit your post. Other than that good luck with everything.

Back