To many problems to list

Katy

Hi i bought a laptop from ebay after about a month i got a message windows not genuine.So i bought a windows7 certified disc and started to install it ,it was going fine until it got to installing updates then crashed.I turned of pc now it has a message bootmgr missing huh has a black screen and a flashing cursor.Ii bought spotmour but everytime i try to fix any it says no OS help pulling my hair out i have a sony laptop

Start the install from scratch after making sure that the BIOS is setup to boot CD before HDD.
BIOS setup is normally accessed with F2 as you power up on a Sony. (possibly F3 if that doesn't work). It should have instructions on the Sony splash screen if you read quickly.

It doesn't matter if there's no OS found. You boot directly from the DVD (after changing the BIOS not to go directly to your empty/broken HDD) and just click on Install.

Hi terry got to bios but didnt see where to change it im not computer literate.Sorry can you talk me through it please:grinning:

Addendum

Hi Terry was installing windows fine until it asked me where i wanted to store windows and nothing was there then told me couldnt find drivers

I can't tell you exactly (don't own a Sony) because BIOS setup differs between manufacturers, but they're all similar.
Chances are the mouse won't work at that stage so you navigate round the page using the keyboard arrow keys.
Along the top of the BIOS setup page you should see a line of menu options like General, Advanced, Boot, Power etc.
Highlight the "boot" and hit enter.
You should be in a menu page that lets you choose the boot device priority. Fiddle around (there should be advice on the page) until CD is before HDD then put your DVD in the tray and choose the "save changes and exit" option (probably F10).
The PC will reboot into the DVD and ask you to "press any key". Do so (just this once) and follow the advice here
Installing Windows Vista - Guides - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
(the example is Vista, but W7 is just the same)
When you get to the "drive options (advanced)" section, choose to completely overwrite the dodgy partition (or delete everything and let W7 start with a completely blank HDD if there's nothing on there you need to keep).
During the install the PC will reboot 2 or 3 times and you'll see the "press any key..." message again. Don't do anything.
Pressing a key will start from the beginning again, so just leave it to get on with the install till it's done.

Hi terry thanks for your
“Patience, its very appreciated.I started my pc it said boot from cd or dvd i pressed enter went through the old shabang again until i got to driver options.There was nothng there to highlight just empty so couldnt go no further im a wally lol what am i doing wrong.Still black screen flashing cursor and the baine of my life bootmgr missing.
Did i do it right? This is what i seen in the bios
Boot configuration
External device boot Disabled
Network boot Disabled
Boot priority
Select first boot priority (Internal optical disc drive
Select second boot priority (Internal hard disc drive
Select third priority (External device
Thxs

Addendum

Ok figured out the bios started to install w7 again got to the driver section pressed advanced driver options.There was no partitions to over ride now what im zumped

Last edited:
Did you click on "install" here
Install+Now.png

not "repair.."

Hi yes i clicked install went through the motions till i got to driver advanced options.Then the same thing no partitions no drivers im going in circles and going nuts lol:brows:

You mean that here
Select+a+Partition.png

you don't see any disks ?
If so eject the HDD from the laptop (when it's turned off) and reinsert it to make sure it's making good contact.
Then go back into the BIOS first page and see if it's listing a hard drive amongst your devices.
If it's not there, it sounds like the drive is u/s and you'll need a new one. If it reappears, try the Install again.

Hi Terry its a sony vaio vpceb3fue intel pentium. I do not have another hdd to replace is that the only way it can be fixed Thxs again

Nearest I can find listed is .....F4E (not UE)
ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Notebooks/VPCE/VPCE_H_EN.pdf
and it seems that Sony don't like to make it easy to remove the HDD (not even mentioned in any manual for any of their laptops that I can find)
Before fiddling around finding and removing it, just to clean up the contacts, check in the BIOS first to see if you can see the HDD is accessible.
If you can't see it, then either the contacts to it are bad, or it's gone u/s, in which case you'll need to remove/reinsert it initially to rule out the former, or replace it with a new one and then install W7.
If you can borrow an old one (any size) from someone, you can install it just to check that it spins up (i.e. the connections to the HDD are fine) before going to the expense of buying a new one.
If the present HDD is showing in the BIOS, then we'll have to investigate further why the install can't see it.

Back