Hands Up Those Who Liked Windows Vista

• Loved It

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Hated It

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Don't know if you watch "Big Bang Theory" and are therefore familiar with the borderline autistic "Sheldon Cooper"
A quote (purely from memory) of an episode where his laptop got stolen in a burglary and he's had to get a new one.
"My new PC has Windows 7. It's much more user friendly than Vista...... I don't like that!"

Actually yes I watch BBT occasionally but must have missed that one. LOL @ that line. To me Vista Ultimate had absolutely everything that I consider an operating should have: a good browser that could have been upgraded if they'd put their minds to it, Windows Mail, Media Center, Fax and Scan etc. etc. The list goes on. I'm not fond of all this Cloud idea. When my ISP's connection goes down what use is that? All my W10's and my Win 7 all have Vista Windows Mail added and fully functional along with Vista Windows Calendar again fully functional. I was looking around the Internet for a fiddle to continue updates for Vista, like there has been with XP (fooling it into thinking it was Embedded I think was the fiddle), but no luck with that. I no longer have Vista but friends of mine do and they all called me today pleading for help. I had to let them all down and ended up sounding like an ad for Microsoft.

Vista in still on one of my previous PCs, all boxed up and waiting for me to complete the IT museum in the garage loft, along with W95 on an even earlier PC (with a HDD < 1Gb) and even an IBM Selectric 82C (golf ball) typewriter.
Sadly I neglected to salvage a mechanical calculator (of the vintage I used doing statistics at University) from my parents loft before selling their house recently. (Dad now living in France, aged 97, with my brother), but I did rescue a Sinclair Scientific Calculator (the first digital electronic calc, mint in box) from their garage as I filched all my dad's precision measuring tools.

Last edited:
I recall we had American Monro Matic calculators at University, God what a racket they made, but they did calculate to a lot more decimal places than I could muster with my slide rule. I still have that and used to have an IBM Selectric years ago but gave that away. They were great typewriters but rather bulky. I see that parts for them are still available online. I have 2 Sharp ZQ-700 Organizers from way back before I used a PC which I still use to store my addresses and some other data. Being too lazy to transfer them all into my computer, which would have to be done manually.

My slide rule got saturated in a garage flood shortly after we moved here and hadn't finished unpacking. It's now warped and seized-up and delaminating, so u/s, though my circular navigation slide rule/computer from my flying days is still OK.

Back