ToolTipFixer "bug"?

akahige

I recently discovered TTF and have been loving the thing to death -- especially after years of cursing this particular Windows bug.

I have noticed a particular problem. The service is set to Automatic, but for some reason, it doesn't always start when XP boots. I can start it manually in the Services Manager and it works a-okay, but I never know it's not working until the bug shows up.

Have you ever seen this? Is there anything I can do to help troubleshoot it?

--
michael

Hi michael,

I'm not sure what the issue is, I really can't help you with only a vague description of the problem........

If you could tell me when, why, where, etc. I might be able to help, but other than that.....

I guess I didn't think the description of the problem was vague. Let me try again...

The service does not always run. Whether it's not starting with Windows, or it's spontaneously quitting, I can't say -- but it's an intermittent failure. Without constant checking, it's only obvious that the service isn't running if the bug appears.

When I check the service manager, the service is set to Automatic, but it's not running.

I know that diagnosing intermittent failure is huge hassle. I can't say what might be causing this. Don't know if it's a Windows thing, or something to do with TTF. Was hoping that you might be able to tell me if there's anything to look out for when I observe this failure.

The service does not always run. Whether it's not starting with Windows, or it's spontaneously quitting, I can't say -- but it's an intermittent failure. Without constant checking, it's only obvious that the service isn't running if the bug appears.

Yeah, that first sentence is the important question :wink:

Next time you don't see it, check Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer and see if there is a TTF-related error there or not.

I may be able to do you one better...

Since this WXP install is only a week old, I just scanned through the logs to see if there was anything. If the 'source' column should indicate anything obvious to do with TTF, then I saw nothing at all.

I don't know if it would be in the "source" column - I wouldn't expect it to be though.

Most likely it'll give you a generic service exception error as the name/whatever; and the details would indicated that tooltipfixer.exe has failed.

You were right. Had to search them out, but there they are, in sets of two. I pasted in both errors of a set, below.

Code:
Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Service Control Manager
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7000
Date:        3/13/2008
Time:        9:53:11 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    CHANGEME
Description:
The NST ToolTipFixer service failed to start due to the following error: 
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Code:
Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Service Control Manager
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7009
Date:        3/13/2008
Time:        9:53:11 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    CHANGEME
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the NST ToolTipFixer service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Does this help you at all...?

Back