Tri - booting Ubuntu 8.10 and Vista+Xp NeoGrub

Kyzys

Hello, I am using NeoGrub to try to boot ubuntu with the vista bootloader, i downloaded easybcd and i can duel boot xp and vista, but i can only boot ubuntu with grub. i put in the required code for neogrub, but when i try to boot into ubuntu it still shows that it cannot be found, any helpl would be great. thanks!

When going to install ubuntu where did you set the mount point? hopefully on the root/system partition. The entry made in the Vista boot options with the EasyBCD tool should point at the root to then see Neogrub handle ubuntu's own boot loader when being pointed at. Generally ubuntu is about the easiest distro to see added in.

I set the mount point at just / is there anyway to do it without reinstalling?

Please post your NeoGrub menu.lst file, located at C:/NST/Menu. I just recently got my own tri-boot setup with NeoGrub, as well as the other Ubuntu entry created with EasyBCD, which used Bootpart, instead of NeoGrub...perhaps I could help you with yours. :wink:

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

Please post your NeoGrub menu.lst file, located at C:/NST/Menu. I just recently got my own tri-boot setup with NeoGrub, as well as the other Ubuntu entry created with EasyBCD, which used Bootpart, instead of NeoGrub...perhaps I could help you with yours. :wink:

-Coolname007

haha yeah i read your whole thread, maybe you can help though.

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic
uuid ad7ef2f5-316c-4db3-941f-79fd25b070f0
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=UUID=ad7ef2f5-316c-4db3-941f-79fd25b070f0 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-9-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=UUID=ad7ef2f5-316c-4db3-941f-79fd25b070f0 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-9-generic

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=ad7ef2f5-316c-4db3-941f-79fd25b070f0 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=ad7ef2f5-316c-4db3-941f-79fd25b070f0 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

title Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

Last edited:
I believe your problem is you combined NeoGrub with your Ubuntu menu.lst, and they don't mix! :brows:

Try this instead:

# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:

#This is a comment. Comments are prefixed with a '#'

default 0 #Pick the task to be run if the user doesn't pick one within the time limit.
timeout 10 #Give the user 10 seconds to choose a task.

#We use the "title" keyword to indicate a new entry in the menu.

title Windows XP #This is our first entry - it's number 0
find --set-root /NTLDR #Search for NTLDR on all partitions. Once found, use that partition as root.
makeactive #Make this the active partition
chainloader /NTLDR #Run NTLDR, the Windows XP bootloader
#If we're using a menu, we don't need to use the `boot` command - it's automatically implied.

#This is our second entry
title Ubuntu Linux
root (hd0,3) #Load Ubuntu from the 1st harddrive's 4th partition.
chainloader +1
#End Ubuntu entry
#That's it!
Should let you boot both XP and Ubuntu 8.10 with NeoGrub! :tongueout:

-Coolname007

EDIT: of course you will need to change "root (hd0,3)" to the appropriate configuration in your case, i.e. "root (hd0,1)" or "root (hd0,2)", etc. Hope it helps!

Last edited:
1. Can i changed root to (hd0,4) because that's where it is at and it says it cant open file type.
2. Can you change it so its just Ubuntu =D

1. Can i changed root to (hd0,4) because that's where it is at and it says it cant open file type.
2. Can you change it so its just Ubuntu =D

If you say it is located at "(hd0,4)", then yes, that should work (although you may want to make absolutely certain that its there, and not some other partition number). Perhaps you used the wrong filesystem type when creating the Ubuntu partition? Ubuntu requires ext3 filesystem type. BTW, i hope you know that "(hd0,4)" and "sda4" are not the same thing! :wink: They're a number off from each other! sda4=(hd0,3)

And of course you can change it to "Ubuntu" instead "Ubuntu Linux"...whatever you want! :wink:

Cheers! :brows:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
well i mean so there is no XP, it is definitely (hd0,4) and installed as ext3. any other suggestions?

EDIT: When i try it says it cant boot ext2fs but when i boot into ubuntu using GRUB it says (hd0,4) ext3

Last edited:
well i mean so there is no XP, it is definitely (hd0,4) and installed as ext3. any other suggestions?

If NeoGrub doesn't work, you can always use the alternative...:wink: Create a direct boot entry in the Vista bootloader, that works with Bootpart. (But really...all this is covered in my tutorial!)

So open up EasyBCD, go to Add/Remove Entries, select the "Linux" tab. Select the partition (EasyBCD calls it a "drive") that Ubuntu is installed on (mine was Partition 3), and click the "Add Entry" button to create the new entry. Now to make it work...

Open up your Command Prompt (Start menu>All Programs>Applications>Command Prompt), and type the following, pushing Return or Enter after each line.

Code:
C:\bootpart.exe
C:\bootpart c:\ubuntu.lnx Ubuntu Linux
GL and let me know how it goes! :wink:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

well i mean so there is no XP

Of course! :smile: Simply leave out the whole XP paragraph, and change the comment on the Ubuntu title to say "first" entry, instead of "second" entry! :wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: Like this:

#This is a comment. Comments are prefixed with a '#'

default 0 #Pick the task to be run if the user doesn't pick one within the time limit.
timeout 10 #Give the user 10 seconds to choose a task.

#We use the "title" keyword to indicate a new entry in the menu.

#This is our first entry
title Ubuntu Linux
root (hd0,4) #Load Ubuntu from the 1st harddrive's 5th partition.
chainloader +1
#End Ubuntu entry
#That's it!

Last edited:
EDIT: When i try it says it cant boot ext2fs but when i boot into ubuntu using GRUB it says (hd0,4) ext3

Its also possible that your Ubuntu menu.lst file is messed up. So i would recommend checking with "sudo fdisk -l" (while booting with LiveCD) to see which partition Ubuntu is really installed on. Again, sda4, for example, would be (hd0,3). :wink:

Cheers!

-Coolname007

:evil:

Addendum:

it says invalid command after bootpart, would it make a difference if i was using windows 7?

Indeed it might! :lol: I thought you said you were tribooting Ubuntu, Vista, and XP??? not Windows 7?

Obviously, that would probably change things a bit...:wink:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

it says invalid command after bootpart

Its also possible you're in the wrong dir, opening up command prompt! :wink: You may want to check, and post precisely where it starts out, at open of the command prompt! :smile:

Cheers! :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Have you tried NeoGrub in the automatic configuration instead of setting up a NeoGrub menu.lst? Under Add/Remove Entries select the Linux tab and uninstall NeoGrub. Remove the old entry and go to the Linux tab and add a new one pointing to the correct place, but hit grub is not installed to mbr before clicking the add entry button. Reboot and assuming all went well you should be looking at a menu containing the entries located in Ubuntu's menu.lst at /boot/grub/menu.lst when you select the new entry.

well, windows 7 is basically the same thing as vista structure wise so far.
and this is the
"sudo fdisk -l"

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x54a16431

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 26198 210435403+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 26199 60801 277948597+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 26199 38356 97659103+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 38357 41395 24410736 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 41396 60801 155878663+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 2062 MB, 2062548992 bytes
16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 7868 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xce5207d3

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 7868 2014192 e W95 FAT16 (LBA)
kenny@Ubuntu-8:~$

Last edited:
Have you tried NeoGrub in the automatic configuration instead of setting up a NeoGrub menu.lst? Under Add/Remove Entries select the Linux tab and uninstall NeoGrub. Remove the old entry and go to the Linux tab and add a new one pointing to the correct place, but hit grub is not installed to mbr before clicking the add entry button. Reboot and assuming all went well you should be looking at a menu containing the entries located in Ubuntu's menu.lst at /boot/grub/menu.lst when you select the new entry.

Either way he's going to have to edit the NeoGrub menu.lst...whether he uninstalls it, and reinstalls it, or keeps the old one....the result will be the same, an edited NeoGrub menu.lst! :lol: And technically, the "Remove NeoGrub" option is under the "NeoGrub" tab, not the "Linux tab"! :wink:

Cheers! :brows:

-Coolname007

NeoGrub in the auto-config doesn't create its own menu.lst. It simply points to the correct linux partition and uses the menu.lst from there.

NeoGrub in the auto-config doesn't create its own menu.lst. It simply points to the correct linux partition and uses the menu.lst from there.

I believe you're referring to the entry created that works with bootpart...and, in my understanding at least, that is not NeoGrub! :wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: Of course its possible we have different versions of EasyBCD...which version do you have?

Last edited:
Its also possible you're in the wrong dir, opening up command prompt! :wink: You may want to check, and post precisely where it starts out, at open of the command prompt! :smile:
it's E:\Users\Kenny> i already tried E:\bootpart.exe though

i do this and it just loads up a grub command thing. with no options

Ok, try not checking the checkbox for grub is not installed to the mbr this time. In most cases it helps, but for some it works if they don't check it.

Back