Tri - booting Ubuntu 8.10 and Vista+Xp NeoGrub

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x54a16431

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 26198 210435403+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 26199 60801 277948597+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 26199 38356 97659103+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 38357 41395 24410736 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 41396 60801 155878663+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 2062 MB, 2062548992 bytes
16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 7868 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xce5207d3

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 7868 2014192 e W95 FAT16 (LBA)
kenny@Ubuntu-8:~$

Its also possible, since it is sda5, that your Ubuntu partition doesn't exist in the MBR....that would explain why it didn't work! :wink:

BTW, how did you post it so fast? I would have thought it would have taken longer to boot with the LiveCD...:smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Its also possible, since it is sda5, that your Ubuntu partition doesn't exist in the MBR....that would explain why it didn't work! :wink:

BTW, how did you post it so fast? I would have thought it would have taken longer to boot with the LiveCD...:smile:

-Coolname007

How can i fix this, and my main bootloader right now is GRUB so i can get into ubuntu, i just want vista bootloader to handle it all, and i can go into the vista bootloader and it shows what it will be once i make the default.

Ok, try not checking the checkbox for grub is not installed to the mbr this time. In most cases it helps, but for some it works if they don't check it.
This says it can't load from hard disk

It could be any number of reasons here. One being Windows 7 is still in beta with some fixes they havent added, your filesystem on the linux partition is bad, grub or Ubuntu was never installed properly, etc. Sorry guys I need to go (it's really late here) so GL i'll be back later if there are any other questions.

How can i fix this

Well, with the BootIT NG program, this would be fairly easy enough...since it allows easy access (and editing capability) of the MBR...but since you most probably wont want to use that, it will have to be done manually. But (as of now) I don't know how to do that...and we have to wait until someone more knowledgeable than me comes. :wink: Only other option I see is changing one of the primary partitions to extended instead of primary, and starting over again...you will need to get past the 4 primary partition limit in the MBR! :smile:

I hope this helps, and i also need to go now...i'll come back tomorrow to see if you fixed it. :wink:

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

this doesn't work, im going as well because its 3AM haha, i will be back promptly later though so thanks so far! :smile:

Sorry, it was a typo. Try this instead:

Code:
C:\bootpart.exe 
C:\bootpart 4 c:\ubuntu.lnx Ubuntu Linux

I left out the 4 in the other post...:wink:

Or if that doesn't work:

cd \
bootpart 4 c:\ubuntu.lnx Ubuntu Linux

Or:

cd \
bootpart 4 ubuntu.bin
Anyway, i'm all out of ideas at the moment, and i'm going to bed as well, since its pretty late here as well! :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
im using 1.7.2.7 so i guess it should come with it but its still not working =(

You could always try downloading and installing Bootpart separately, and extracting to E:\. And then try running those commands again...

Download from http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm.

Hope this helps! :wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: And i just realized i accidentally said "C:\" instead of "E:\" in my last post. So make sure to use "E:\" instead! :grinning:

Last edited:
It let me write it, but i should try to rewrite it in c: anyway?

Oh sorry! :smile: It was a typo again...i meant extract it to E:/ in your case. :wink:

And what do you mean "write it"? :wtf: Are you talking about the bootpart commands, or are you talking about extracting it to E:/? :wink:

-Coolname007

Oh sorry! :smile: It was a typo again...i meant extract it to E:/ in your case. :wink:

And what do you mean "write it"? :wtf: Are you talking about the bootpart commands, or are you talking about extracting it to E:/? :wink:

-Coolname007

the bootpart thing worked after i extraced to E:frowning:Windows 7 partition) but when i boot it cant laod from harddrive

If i try the others wont it make multiple Ubuntu entries, and if it does how do i get rid of them

The C:\ and not E:\ worked?!!! :S hmm...:smile:

Try this instead:

Code:
C:\bootpart.exe
C:\bootpart 5 c:\ubuntu.lnx Ubuntu Linux
Or if you meant you tried E:\, try this:

Code:
E:\boopart.exe
E:\bootpart 5 e:\ubuntu.lnx Ubuntu Linux
It has to work. :wink:

-Coolname007
-

Last edited:
i tried that which is an extended part. my native linux is 2 and i also tried that, the 2 came up with cant boot from hard disk and the 5 didnt say anything except loading partition and h.c. something

i tried that which is an extended part. my native linux is 2 and i also tried that, the 2 came up with cant boot from hard disk and the 5 didnt say anything except loading partition and h.c. something

hmm...well we're making progress! :wink: It would help a lot if you write down that last "h.c." error, in its entirety, so we can better see what we're dealing with here. :smile:
I think 5 is right, but you're now having a different problem. So could you please copy down the exact error? and we can work from there...

Cheers! :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Back