tripe boot problem across two disks

kirkster

Hey guys, my first post.

On my primary disk i had Vista 64 bit and Windows 2003 server dual booting with BCD help. This wasa fine and eberything working great. This was all on a partitioned 1TB disk split 850Gig/150 Gig in Vista favour.

I installed a second hard disk. BIOS recognised it fine.

I then installed Ubuntu server onto thsi second disk, recognised by teh ubuntu partitoner as 0,1,0 (teh disk above is 0,0,0).

At teh end of the Ubuntu install it says "install GRUB loader?". I said yes. if I said no I have to enter all sort of horrible info!!!

When doing teh first reboot after the Ubuntu install, there was no option to boot into the new ubuntu OS. So I then configure BCD (from within Vista) to add a 3rd entry for the Ubuntu on teh 2nd disk. However, BCD undere Vista cannot "see" the new drive i addeded. When trying to boot it keeps saying it can;t find the OS and to insert the boot disk???? Teh two OS avove stil working fine.

Can GRUB coexist with BCD?

Any ideas guys?????

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve, welcome to NST

With the error you're getting it sounds as if you added a new Windows entry to the bootloader rather than one for Linux. If you click on the Linux tab on the Add/Remove entries page, you should be able to add one.

If EasyBCD isn't seeing your second hard drive than it is a problem with Windows. EasyBCD gets its partition information based on what Windows sees.

There have also been issues with linux that the current version of EasyBCD doesn't address. EasyBCD 2.0 Beta helps to address some of these.

Hi Steve, welcome to NST.
Are you using the latest version of EasyBCD, the 2.0 Beta. The old 1.7 has issues with adding the latest builds of Linux because they've changed the grub syntax from previous builds.
Try deleting the Ubuntu entry and adding it again using the latest release.

Addendum:

Sorry Jus. wrote a reply and got called away just before I could insert the hyperlink, then came back and hit post and you'd already replied.

Last edited:
hey guys,
many thankyous for your helps - i will try these things when I am loggings in later today. And sorry for my not so good English ! :smile:

Regards, Steve

Hello again guys.
It still does not work though. I tried using teh release 2.0 beta and keeps getting the errors come up "bootgrabber.exe has a problem". reverted back to 1.7. Here is my config:
There are a total of 3 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 20 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista
Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows
Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows
BCD ID: {5a79f248-ae72-11dd-9149-001a4d514e63}
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR
Entry #3
Name: Ubuntu Linux
BCD ID: {5a79f251-ae72-11dd-9149-001a4d514e63}
Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_grub.m

It is teh entry 3 that gives me problems. I installeed Ubuntu server on a completely free second drive and then installed the bootloader onto that drive - as teh tootorial suggested. In other words, my first two entrys that work are on my primary drive (c and E in Vista).

\if \I opern disk manage,ment in vista I can see teh seconds disk and teh trwo partitions (root and swap) but of course I cannot see them in "My Computer" since they are ext3 formatted.

Any more ideas folks's ???

Many thankyous for your kindness.
Steve

There's still problems with bootgrabber it seems. From other people's reports build 53 doesn't have the issues build 59 is having. Do you get any problems with build 53?

Back