triple boot : 2 x win 7 and XP ?

davidwf

Hi, just joined the forum so apologies if this has already been covered...

I would like to triple boot my laptop ....XP partition for older non compatible programs, Win7 partition to try out "questionable" software without risking the main Win 7 install, Win7 partition for everything else

I have been using dual boot XP & Win 7 for several months with no problems

IF this is possible, any tips or guidance would be appreciated.....I'm not a novice by a long shot.....but not quite an expert.....yet :brows:

Thanks in advance

If you install a new W7, it should automatically add itself as a 3rd boot option.
You can use EasyBCD to neaten up the boot menu but it's not needed to make the triple boot functional. MS will do that automatically unless you install the new OS in a way where it can't see the other systems.

wow, thanks for the speedy reply :smile:

So, would I "just" need to shrink the existing Win7 partition and create a new one, then install a fresh copy of Win7 and that's it ?

would be really nice if that was all I need to do.....I seem to recall having to wipe everything before......I installed XP, then Win7 then messed around for ages with BCD to get it all working

thanks

Last edited:
If you install an older system after a newer e.g W8 > W7 > Vista > XP, the older will in each case try to take over the boot and will experience problems due to lack of forward compatibility, the worst case being XP which not only uses an older boot manager but a completely different one.
The architecture of MS boot assumes conventional chronology, i.e. newer systems follow older, so XP > Vista > W7 > W8 will all happen automatically without intervention (though the boot menu will be a confusing clutter of "older version of Windows" entries which will need EasyBCD to tidy into a neat logical list), because each boot manager is backward compatible with anything earlier.
You should just be able to do your shrink > Install, and end up with what you want provided that you are careful to give meaningful Volume Labels to your partitions so that you don't make any mistake about where to place the new Install.
People who install to unlabeled anonymous spaces have often accidentally overwritten their prime OS, especially if they make the mistake of thinking that the Installation DVD uses the same disk letters as their "live" system. (All windows OS have their own unique registry map of letter v partition, and there's no connection between them. Only the physical volume label is the same from OS to OS)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips....I just created a new partition and installed a 2nd copy of Win 7.....when I re-booted I was offered the choice of 3 boots - EXACTLY what I wanted :smile: :smile: :smile:

Addendum

So, I created a new partition and installed Win 7 on it, nothing else at all....this will be called DIAG
I have one hard drive with 3 partitions - "XP", "DIAG", "Windows7".
When I re-boot the laptop I get FOUR boot options....Windows 7, XP, Windows 7, DIAG
Both the Windows 7 entries go to my main Win 7 install
Booting to each one in turn and starting EasyBCD reveals just 3 entries in the boot menu !

So where is the other one coming from and how do I get rid of it ???

Thanks

more help needed

Apologies for re-posting but I am not sure if the addendum would have notified the forum about my reply......

So, I created a new partition and installed Win 7 on it, nothing else at all....this will be called DIAG
I have one hard drive with 3 partitions - "XP", "DIAG", "Windows7".
When I re-boot the laptop I get FOUR boot options....Windows 7, XP, Windows 7, DIAG
Both the Windows 7 entries go to my main Win 7 install
Booting to each one in turn and starting EasyBCD reveals just 3 entries in the boot menu !

So where is the other one coming from and how do I get rid of it ???

First check EasyBCD > Tools > Options to check that you are not viewing a BCD other than the "live" one.

as attached.....

Addendum

anything else to check ?

Addendum

One thing I did wonder.....does it matter what boot partition I use to view / edit Easy BCD ?

I originally created the XP installation then added win 7 and finally the 2nd win 7 partition - created by shrinking the existing volume in disk management ....

Attachments

• 1.GIF
    1.GIF
    19.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.GIF
    2.GIF
    53.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.GIF
    3.GIF
    13.5 KB · Views: 1
OK, somehow the BCD got a little twisted leaving a ghost entry like that.
You can either ignore it, since both W7s do what you want, or if you're a neatness freak you can use EasyBC​D > Backup/Repair > Reset BCD, then add the 3 entries again. (Don't disregard EasyBCD's warning about not rebooting till you've put some entries back in the BCD. You'd be amazed how many people have complained that "EasyBCD wrecked my system" and "I didn't think the message was serious - programs are always saying things like that")

OK, have deleted all the information from BCD, and yes, I re-started BEFORE making a new menu just like you said :frowning: :frowning: ...however I managed to rescue it by booting from the windows 7 disc and doing a "repair", now up & running...phew !
I then deleted the new partition and am starting again.....created a new partition and am installing a 2nd copy of win 7 to it
When I have done this what would be the correct procedure - do I boot to XP or my original installation of win 7 ?

Then what??

Thanks for your help - greatly appreciated
DF

Why have you reinstalled the new W7 ?
You were only trying to remove a ghost entry from the BCD, there's nothing wrong with any of the OSs.

I want a totally separate W7 partition to install & trial "suspect" and other software before installing it to my main W7 system......that way if it messes anything up it won't affect the main install

Following your previous suggestion of deleting all the existing entries in EasyBCD and starting afresh I have now got it all straight so thanks for the help & advice :smile:

Addendum

out of interest any idea why I am not receiving email notification of these updates.......I HAVE ticked the instant notify by email box in my profile......

There's a "Receive emails about private messages" option (which is for PMs not forum posts) and a "subscribe to thread" option (which notifies you if the thread is updated)

yep, and I think I have that set corectly....but didn't get an email to your reply just now...

Addendum

Aha, I just noticed this as well
Hwzuz0nsEaTfAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

....didn't have it ticked there !

Attachments

• messages.png
    messages.png
    55 KB · Views: 2
  • threads.PNG
    threads.PNG
    24.8 KB · Views: 3
Back