triple boot (2x Win7 + 1x Ubuntu) NTLDR + grub no ang0 problem

sonnybwoi

Hi,

First of all, I want to thank You in advance for patience, since I'm a complete noob in terms of Linux advanced features.

Some time ago I installed triple OS on my laptop.
1. Windows 7 x64
2. Windows 7 x64
3. Ubuntu

I do not remember how exactly I managed to make all these work, since I was installing it all with help from my more-linux-aware friend who I cannot contact now, but I remember that EasyBCD was used for the installation.

When I started my system I had a "classic" Windows boot NTLDR with 3 specific choices, as above. When I chose 1 or 2 it just booted into chosen Windows. When I chose Ubuntu, it moved on to Grub and from there the Ubuntu started.

I do not use Ubuntu too often, just for network testing with iperf, sometimes mtr etc, not many more. I didnt use it for a couple of weeks, but never had any issues with it earlier.
Today, when I tried to load Ubuntu it stopped before showing me the grub menu as it did before (but after NTLDR and picking "Ubuntu" - so I guess the "windows" loader is fine and there is something wrong with grub). What it shows me now is:

Try (hd0,0): NFTS5; No ang0
Try (hd0,1): NTFS5; No ang0
Try (hd0,2): NTFS5; No ang0
Try (hd0,3): Extended;
Try (hd0,4): EXT2: No ang0
Try (hd0,5): Extended;
Try (hd0,5): non-MS: skip
Try (hd1,0): NTFS5: no ang0
Try (hd1,1): invalid or null
Try (hd1,2): invalid or null
Try (hd1,3): invalid or null
BIOS: Drive=0x0, N=0, S=0

Try (fd0): invalid or null
Cannot find ang0 in all drives. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Here's what EasyBCD says now:
easybcd.JPG

All three OS's are located on the same physical disk 0.

Any guesses how to restore my Ubuntu and why Grub got (I guess) destroyed?

ps. I tried the search option, but couldn't find anything with exactly the same triple boot scenario

Thanx!

Is there an ANG0 file in your root partition?

Yes:
ang0.JPG

Just to explain partitions:
- When I start Win 7 #1 i do not want any presence of Win 7 #2 so i removed the letter from Win 7 #2 (just the letter assignment)
- Same goes when I start Win 7 #2 (letter assignment removed from Win 7 #1)
- obviously since Linux partitions are not FAT/NTFS they are not visible in typical Windows env as I have
- there are also other drives (hdd and sd) but they are just storage, nothing to do with the system itself

The above scenario was ok for months, I was able to run any of the three systems. The access to Ubuntu partition/neogrub was lost for no apparent reason in no circumstances I could remember (meaning I didn't mess with partitions in any way and so on - it was ok and then all of a sudden, gone)

Thanx.

Wait, there are two separate files:

X:\NST\AutoNeoGrubX.mbr
and
X:\ANGX

Does C:\ANG0 exist?

Wait, there are two separate files:

X:\NST\AutoNeoGrubX.mbr
and
X:\ANGX

Does C:\ANG0 exist?

Hmm...looks like it doesn't:

angx.JPG

I can't think of a situation in which I might have deleted it.

- Is it possible that it got somehow deleted by the system itself during i.e. Windows Update?
- Is there any possibility to restore it (taking into consideration that I already tried the re-create/repair boot files option in BCD)?

Thanx.

SOLVED!

I had a backup of the whole FS done some time ago...
- browsed through it, found C:\\ANG0 file.
- Copied it back to the original place.
- restarted
- bingo! ubuntu's there as it was before!

The last thing that bothers me - since I am the only person who uses this laptop and Im sure I did not delete the file myslef - how is it possible it got deleted?

Anyway, thanx a lot for Your help, much appreciated.

I'm more bothered by the fact that you said you tried to create a new Ubuntu entry and EasyBCD did not create a new ANGX file.

But I'm glad you got it working.

I'm more bothered by the fact that you said you tried to create a new Ubuntu entry and EasyBCD did not create a new ANGX file.

But I'm glad you got it working.

Maybe it's because i originally created all *ANG* files/dirs with a much older version of EasyBCD and tried to re-create them with the newest version? Some compatibility issue between the old and the new?

Can you try adding another entry? It should be ANG1 and AutoNeoGrub1.mbr (it won't affect your old one or risk your dual-boot).

Back