Triple Boot Help

whunteman

I am having problems booting to XP-2 most
of the time.
HDD-0-0-0-1 XP-1
HDD-0-0-0-2 XP-2
HDD-0-0-1-1 Vista

Most of the time XP-2 won't show up on the boot menu
and the computer boots to XP-1 which is set as default.
No problems booting Vista

I have EasyBCD & NeoGrub installed in Vista, but don't understand
what to enter in it---over my head--way over.
Will using NeoGrub enable me to boot to XP-2 anytime?

I need to know exactly what to type into neogrub to be able
to boot into XP-2 whenever I want to.

The XP-2 boot problem started 2 weeks ago when I installed
updates from MS.

Us old retired folks need lots of help.

Bill

Hi Bill, welcome to the boards
You can use Neogrub to give you a 2 level boot that will give you a choice of XPs in the second level.
I won't advise you on the correct syntax for that because I don't use 2 XPs, so I'd be guessing not giving you facts.
You can however use Vista Hide 'n Seek (HnS) to give you a single boot menu with all three options, and if you're dual-booting Vista with XP, you should be using something like it to protect your Vista restore points (XP resets them every time you boot it on a system where it can see Vista).

Read through the sticky thread in the Ideas and Wishes forum about HnS where you'll also find download links. It's in Beta at the moment, though it's been working OK for a while. One word of warning - if you've recently installed Vista SP1, that's presently causing some problems which have resurfaced having previously been fixed.

What you have to do is within XP add the 2nd XP to the boot.ini setup. From there just add a 2nd XP and label it something else with EasyBCD. Then you should be able to select either XP.

The second XP (XP-2) boot files are present in boot.ini. I can boot to XP-2 sometimes, but
most of the time it does not show XP-2 in the boot menu and boots to XP-1.
See boot files below.
;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=45
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP-1 Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP-2 Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Back