triple boot seems ok but

ok

with ubuntu drive disconected i get the same four options to boot into as previously
i can boot into all versions of windows no sign of a grub bootloader there.
i didnt try booting into ubuntu the bottom entry as no drive connected

with the windows drive disconnected and the ubuntu one connected i get

grub loading stage 2
press esc to enter the menu........(countdown 2..1 etc)

boot from (dd0,0) ext3
starting up

and then it boots right into ubuntu

i have installed them all over the last few weeks on multiple times plus a few as still failed attempts with osx.
i tried verious ordrs etc but the one that works is in previous post.

thx
colin.

Addendum:

if i connect all drives and select ubuntu
i go to the box with

grub for dos 0.4.4 box in it

and in the box it reads /boot/grub/menu.1st

the screen then says

booting /boot/grub/menu.1st

(hd1,0)
press esc to enter the menu

then i get a booting kernel screen it flashes up but i cant seem to pause it

it then goes right into ubuntu OK I CAN PAUSE IT

It reads booting ubuntu kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
setting root to (hd1,0)

then some linux balmage message ??? then goes into ubuntu directly

thx
colin.

Last edited:
ok

with ubuntu drive disconected i get the same four options to boot into as previously
i can boot into all versions of windows no sign of a grub bootloader there.

i didnt try booting into ubuntu the bottom entry as no drive connected

with the windows drive disconnected and the ubuntu one connected i get

grub loading stage 2
press esc to enter the menu........(countdown 2..1 etc)

boot from (dd0,0) ext3
starting up

and then it boots right into ubuntu

Weird...:wtf: Then that means you are actually booting from the *Windows* drive when it is connected, which means (hd0) is actually the Windows drive when it is connected, and not the Linux drive like I originally thought based on the output from bootpart and MbrFix from Vista. :wink: Grub is installed to the MBR of your Ubuntu drive, and that is why with the Windows drive disconnected, you can hit Esc to get to the Grub menu, because it has become drive 0 when the Windows drive is disconnected.

i have installed them all over the last few weeks on multiple times plus a few as still failed attempts with osx.
i tried verious ordrs etc but the one that works is in previous post.

thx
colin.
Ok, so have you reinstalled Ubuntu since the time you posted those screenshots?
Addendum:

if i connect all drives and select ubuntu
i go to the box with

grub for dos 0.4.4 box in it

and in the box it reads /boot/grub/menu.1st

then goes right into ubuntu as if the windows drives were disconected
No suprise there because you are booting from the Windows drive with it connected, and so you get to the Vista (or Win 7...depending on which OS is controlling the boot on that drive) boot menu, from where you can select Ubuntu, and get that screen.

But what baffles me is the fact that in the screenshots you posted, drive 0 (i.e. the first drive in the boot sequence in the BIOS) was shown as your *Linux* drive, not your Windows one. :wink: But based on the info so far, you wouldn't have even been able to boot into Windows from the Ubuntu drive, due to your menu.lst not having any Windows entries...:wtf:

Anyhow, I'm glad you can at least boot into all 4 OSes from the Windows drive. :smile:

Cheers,

Jake

Last edited:
Ok, so have you reinstalled Ubuntu since the time you posted those screenshots?

no it has been the same instalation for the last few days as i could use it previously but not from within the windows boot screen so i left the instalation alone.
its only since ver 2.0.0.53 ive been able to boot to it from that initial screen however.

But what baffles me is the fact that in the screenshots you posted, drive 0 (i.e. the first drive in the boot sequence in the BIOS) was shown as your *Linux* drive, not your Windows one. :wink: But based on the info so far, you wouldn't have even been able to boot into Windows from the Ubuntu drive, due to your menu.lst not having any Windows entries...:wtf:

Anyhow, I'm glad you can at least boot into all 4 OSes from the Windows drive. :smile:

mmn im baffled also on that .. like i said im pretty new to all this but am i right in assuming that grub is piggy backing on the windows boot loader and depending on what system i select it reads the drives diferently
it looks to me neogrub is in the windows bootloader initially, then it hands itself over to grub ?
or is that wrong?

like you say tho i can boot into 4 systems across 2 drives and that was my aim so far so as long as it is working thats good

funny how i could do it with ver 53 and not 59 tho...

how would window HnS help with these issues if at all and would there be a benefit u think.?

btw thanks for all the time you have spent on this helping and explaining stuff.

i dont think i would have got this far without !!!

i should learn to leave well alone but i like tryin stuff out and this quad boot thing is quite addictive..

ive got another drive i want osx on also but cant seem to find the definative workin version but thats another story i guess

I am also getting the bootgrabber.exe has stopped working also. I am on 2.0 build 59.

I just installed Linux and put the loader in the Linux partition and now start getting this error.

Steve

I am also getting the bootgrabber.exe has stopped working also. I am on 2.0 build 59.

I just installed Linux and put the loader in the Linux partition and now start getting this error.

Steve

Like cra_arc stated, the problem seems to be only in Build 59. Try Build 53, and see if you still get that error. :wink:

Cheers,

Jake

I'll be uploading a new EasyBCD build soon w/ a copy of BootGrabber that addresses this issue.

Cheers.

Back