Triple booting - a HP Recovery mess !!

I answered this in your thread. As Guru said it is a problem with the Kernel that can only be soved by upgrading ti 64 Bit. It will never be solved for 32 Bit.

Afterlife

Well, I stripped 1 GB of RAM. It's running fine with no problems in XP.

I wanted to clarify something.

My laptop manufacturer is HP. They didn't provide the recovery discs along with he laptop. Can I download the Vista recovery iso fie from this server and use it for my laptop ? Also, while installing XP, I accidently formatted the recovery partition. Is this going to affect anything ?

Also, if I want to install Ubuntu after Vista , can I do it without installing GRUB and make XP the default OS ?

I also wanted to know if I can run Ubuntu through an External hard disk.

Okay no manufacturer supplies the discs anymore. That costs extra. Instead they give you the option to burn your own media with the Recovery Partition. Which is also the easiest way to restore your system to factory settings.

The Disc we ahve here is only useful for 2 things. 1. To recover your Vista boot. 2. To access the Restore points to restore Vista. It is not a full recovery disc as it will not put your PC back to factory settings. It will work on any system for those purposes already stated.

IF you ever want to restore to factory settings then yes. Formatting that drive will affect you.

Yes you can isntall Ubuntu. Read thru the Wiki on our Ubuntu Specific page:

Ubuntu - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

There is also the option right under stha settings section of EasyBCD on which OS to make default. So if you wish to set XP then you can right there.

Like mentioned elsewhere in the forums, you can (for a little price) get the installation media from HP since you erased the data on your recovery partition.

I heard awhile back about an issue with the orginal release of Vista where Vista could not even see more then 2GB or RAM if more then that was installed. SP1 fixes this issue, however, Vista 32-bit well still not utilize more then 2GB of RAM just like the other 32bit OSes.

Mak, that is not totally correct about wether or not you get installation media. You are more or less playing the lottery when you get a new system as to wether or not they ship you one. My laptop was purchased in January using Dell's website and I recieved a Vista DVD with it (not recovery disc). Dell also puts a recovery partition on there. I have another Dell desktop purchased in 2006 that didn't come with a XP dsic. So it may be determined by the place of purchase. I know a lotta computers you get from vendors like Best Buy do not supply installation discs with the purchase of new computers.

Dell doesnt do Recovery Discs. They so system specific discs. I have 2 of them. One for my Dimension 8400 and 1 for my Inspiron 1501. They are system specifc disc tailored to that system with Driver already incorporated. Plus missing several other key drivers. :wink:

Most other places like HP, Compaq (Which is owned by HP), Levono among many other do not supply disc unless you specifically ask for them which you will get charged for them. At which point you are wasting money cause you can burn the discs cheaper. :smile:

The discs are not tailored toward a specific system. Don't believe me? I'm running Windows XP on my laptop because I used the XP installation CD from my previous Dell desktop. The OS doesn't care which system you throw it on as long as you give it the correct key. Heck, the Dell discs are real nice because in rare circumstances you haft to enter the key. If you boot from the disk and do the install that way, you don't even need to enter one :smile:

I think it's different between models... I couldn't use a Dell recovery CD (for Windows XP) on my IBM a while back.

The discs are not tailored toward a specific system. Don't believe me? I'm running Windows XP on my laptop because I used the XP installation CD from my previous Dell desktop. The OS doesn't care which system you throw it on as long as you give it the correct key. Heck, the Dell discs are real nice because in rare circumstances you haft to enter the key. If you boot from the disk and do the install that way, you don't even need to enter one :smile:

Yes the discs are tailored. The discs are tailored to have the drivers specifically for that system. Plus if you install on a Dell it wil genereate a serial for you and not ask you for actiavtion or anything during or after install.

You CAN use them on other systems. But they might not have everything you need. They are tailored. If you dont believe me just use google to find all sorts of topic over at Tech-Forums with discussions between EricB and myself on this.

It was highly debated between us. I had said the same thing. Till he showed me wrong.

I just thought you were getting at that they could not be used on different systems. Even if they are tailored toward a specifc model, you are right about them not including all the correct drivers to get the system up and running.

Anyway, we are kinda off topic to the thread here so I'll just briefly state that if you want to use more then 2GB of RAM in a system, you must be using a 64bit OS. I think we can all agree on that one :smile:

Almost! You can use up to 3GB on an x86 system without a problem - it's the ~4GB barrier that's the problem.

Back