Triple booting Leopard 10.5.7, Vista, & ubuntu on Dell inspiron 1525

WhYSoOoSerious

hey folks

i need help

i have dell inspiron 1525 , i am runnin leopard 10.5.7 and vista through easybcd

my hard disk is 250 giga ( 200 giga for vista, 20 for leopard, 10 giga as recovery and 100 mega as dell disk utility)

i tried to triple boot but i faced a prob

i simply do the steps till i reached to the partition manager in step 4

i deleted the recovery partition( i have it backed up :wink:) then i created anew extended partition and under that i created 2 partition one for ubuntu as ext3 with ( / ) around 9 giga and the other as swap one around one giga

after that when i reached the final step i hit advance to install the grub in the ubuntu partition to run it smoothly through easy bcd boot but when i hit install and about 30% done, bam an error massage pop up and said " cd or dvd error.....etc plz bur it again or harddiskerror ...etc"

so i burned it again and tried it out in vmware and worked well and i did the same as i mentioned about 5 times and always stuck at 30% and error

so guys help

I had a similar problem trying to reinstall ubuntu 8.10 (several attempts) with a CD which I had previously used successfully to install an earlier copy.
Eventually I could only get the install to complete by allocating only one partition (abandoning the swap) and everything then went fine.
There's no need for a swap partition, so that's not a problem. If you want to use Ubuntu for intensive video editing and you're a bit short on RAM, you can always create swap space inside the /root partition exactly the way Windows does, using a file.

i did what u said but still the same error ( i deleted the whole extended and created new primary one as ext3 ( /) root and still the same prob in about 30% done

p.s i noticed that there are about 3.2 mega unallocated spaces which can't be created or merged to any partition ( this small size was created when i mad an extended partitions )

You said you burned another copy and installed in a vm. Have you tried another physical installation with the second copy? You may also verify if the disc burned properly by checking cd for defects on the first menu you get after you've booted from it.

yep i just finished installed it again ( this is about my 6th attempt ) and still the same error

i believed that nothin wrong with my cd cuz it went well in vmware ( i burned about 4 cds before postin here , all of them got error during install )

the massage said that either ur cd/dvd are corrupted plz reburn or ur harddisk is plz change it

do u thinks it has a problem with my dual booting ( leopard & vista )?

p.s i know it can be done cuz i know people who done it but didn't face by prob

i forgot to mention that i tried to install it from wubi ( i don't like this way cuz it takes longer time and somestuff r missin " noob method " ) also got an error about that can't edit bcd.

Last edited:
hey guys, till now i have no luck to do it ( i installed it about 12 times , my hard drive on fire lol) i posted in the ubuntu forums and as usual there nobody answer cuz there are alot of new posts there per min anyway , i ran out of idea so any idea will be awesome

P.S My friend told me that maybe somethin wrong with ur mbr and he advised me to use chameleon bootloader , so i did that and still the same freakin silly error

i found a pic in Google with my prob ( instead of reinstalling to just capture it )
2505605459_93e3aef695.jpg

Any help will be awesome !!!

I've not seen that particular error. (that's not what happened when my Ubuntu install failed), but since you've tried multiple CDs, the HDD space would seem to be suspect.
Have you tried a full format (not the quick option) of the space you're trying to install into. The quick option is the formatting equivalent of deleting a file to the waste bin. The file doesn't go, just the pointer to it changes.
A quick format resets the pointers to the blocks in the partition to say they're all empty and available, but it doesn't actually remove what's there or do any checking of the disk surface.
A full format will take a long time to complete, but it will check every part of the disk surface for problems, and if it finds bad blocks it removes them from the index so that they're never used again.
That way you can't hit one during the install, which might be responsible for your problems.

Looks to me like the error message was correct...i.e. something is wrong with your CD drive or possibly your hard disk. Have you tried using the same CD in another computer, and see if you can boot it just fine in a Live session?
If its your hard disk, you can try deleting the whole Ubuntu root partition with Gparted, create it again, and reinstall Ubuntu.

Last edited:
I've not seen that particular error. (that's not what happened when my Ubuntu install failed), but since you've tried multiple CDs, the HDD space would seem to be suspect.
Have you tried a full format (not the quick option) of the space you're trying to install into. The quick option is the formatting equivalent of deleting a file to the waste bin. The file doesn't go, just the pointer to it changes.
A quick format resets the pointers to the blocks in the partition to say they're all empty and available, but it doesn't actually remove what's there or do any checking of the disk surface.
A full format will take a long time to complete, but it will check every part of the disk surface for problems, and if it finds bad blocks it removes them from the index so that they're never used again.
That way you can't hit one during the install, which might be responsible for your problems.

i didn't try out a full format but i delete the partition ( as i said before about the extended one ) and i created a primary one as ext3 with ( / ) root, and still the same

Looks to me like the error message was correct...i.e. something is wrong with your CD drive or possibly your hard disk. Have you tried using the same CD in another computer, and see if you can boot it just fine in a Live session?
If its your hard disk, you can try deleting the whole Ubuntu root partition with Gparted, create it again, and reinstall Ubuntu.

yep, actually i did install it in my desktop pc ( Dual Boot Xp & ubuntu ) and it works just fine

P.S Some GuYs Post about the same prob in somewhere and the way to get over it is to use alternative cd!!!!
So what about that?

Yes, you can try using the Alternate Install CD, though you might experience the same results if its your CD drive.
But, at this link, they say the following:

Alternate installer details

The text based alternate installer can be downloaded from the complete list of download locations below. This installation CD is suited for computers unable to run the graphical desktop based installation, either because their computer does not meet the minimum requirements for the live cd or because their computer requires configuration after the installation is complete in order to use the desktop.
So its possible using the alternate install cd will work while the regular live cd did not.

Jake

Deleting and reallocating the partition is like quick formatting. It just changes the pointers and descriptors in the partition table. It won't check the disk surface.
You need to do the full format to be sure the HDD isn't at fault.
It will take up some time (get yourself a beer and a sandwich) but compared with the time you've already spent, it might be well worth while.
It will at least pin down the problem to the optical disk if it doesn't cure it.
If it is the optical, try burning to a DVD instead of CD. It uses a different laser frequency, and we've had a case (with our recovery CD) where that change of medium cured a problem the user didn't previous know he had with his optical drive. (or you could try swapping between +R and -R for the same reason. Your optical drive might be malfunctioning in just one of its many compatibility modes.)

Last edited:
thnx guys for ur help
i just downloaded the alternative cd and it worked well

i did the full format as Terry mentioned ( i think that help a lot ) then i used the alternate cd & it went very well after 12 attempts ( till now i don't know what a heck is the problem? )

I am finally triple booting Vista Home Sp2, leopard 1.5.7 , & Ubuntu 9.04

Back