Trouble booting Vista Ultimate x64 after using GParted

Damnit - I just wrote a reply, but then it said my post was too short :S, what's that about.

Anyway, I just formatted partition 2 (had to, not enough space left) and the install is running now.

Question - Is it possible to set partition 1 as active and fix the MBR and BCD with EasyBCD?

Addendum:

The reason it isn't booting currently is as I just stated...the wrong partition is currently set to "active" (i.e the old install's partition). To fix it, you will need to set the new install's partition to "active" again.
Ok, so you're suggesting I try to get EasyBCD running from partition 1's install and try to fix it's boot records from there, or that I should leave everything be?

Last edited:
Damnit - I just wrote a reply, but then it said my post was too short :S, what's that about.

Anyway, I just formatted partition 2 (had to, not enough space left) and the install is running now.
If partition 2 is your new install's partition (like you said it was, I believe...), then that means you just screwed up your boot. Formatting the partition that contains your *workable* boot files was a bad idea.
Question - Is it possible to set partition 1 as active and fix the MBR and BCD with EasyBCD?
Well, if you can't boot into any OS on your computer now (due to having formatted the partition that contains your boot files), then obviously you can not use EasyBCD to repair the boot as that requires first a working installation of Windows to run it from. :wink: But since we have now pinpointed the original problem (i.e. the boot files on partition 1, the old install's partition, being corrupted), my best advice would be to, yes, set partition 1 as "active" again, and then run Startup Repair from the DVD again, 2-3 times, which will hopefully fix the original issue.

Jake

Addendum:

Addendum:

Ok, so you're suggesting I try to get EasyBCD running from partition 1's install and try to fix it's boot records from there, or that I should leave everything be?

Well, before I found out you formatted partition 2 (the partition that contains the workable boot files), I was basically stating to set partition 2 to "active" again, and leave everything as it was, indeed, seeing as the original problem was fixed, and you could boot into your old install again, which to my understanding at least, is what you wanted to begin with, and that is why you tried to do a second install of Vista. :wink: And then, at that point, if you wanted to boot into your new install as well, you could use EasyBCD from the old install to get the two installations to dualboot (once that is, you successfully finish the installation of the second install of Vista).

But, of course, since you formatted partition 2, that is no longer an option, and so you need to go with the advice I posted above.

Last edited:
If partition 2 is your new install's partition (like you said it was, I believe...), then that means you just screwed up your boot. Formatting the partition that contains your *workable* boot files was a bad idea.
Damn, I just realised that myself. Well, at least I know what to do now to get partition 1 running again, so I'll get right to it :tongueout:

Well, if you can't boot into any OS on your computer now (due to having formatted the partition that contains your boot files), then obviously you can not use EasyBCD to repair the boot as that requires first a working installation of Windows to run it from. :wink:
But since we have now pinpointed the original problem (i.e. the boot files on partition 1, the old install's partition, being corrupted), my best advice would be to, yes, set partition 1 as "active" again, and then run Startup Repair from the DVD again, 2-3 times, which will hopefully fix the original issue.
Hmm, the problem is, Startup Repair on partition 1 (the old install) won't work - it doesn't find any problems oddly. Do you think I'd have a chance trying to fix part 1's BCD with EasyBCD?

If that doesn't work, would it be an option to copy partition 2's BCD over partition 1's? (and subsequently trying to fix it w/ Startup Repair maybe or bootrec maybe)

EDIT:
Well, before I found out you formatted partition 2 (the partition that contains the workable boot files), I was basically stating to set partition 2 to "active" again, and leave everything as it was, indeed, seeing as the original problem was fixed, and you could boot into your old install again, which to my understanding at least, is what you wanted to begin with, and that is why you tried to do a second install of Vista. :wink:
Well indeed, but I couldn't get EasyBCD to run, and I was constantly getting logged in as a temporary user, I thought this might be bad for the install since it might try to "fix" the references when I try to do updates or run fixes to get it running properly. So I tried to go the safe route of trying to do everything from a seperate install, which would ensure the files on partition 1 wouldn't be tampered with.

The second install is now up and running - could I try to use EasyBCD from there to fix partition 1's boot?

Last edited:
Which partition was "active" when you tried running Startup Repair on the old installation?

Addendum:

If that doesn't work, would it be an option to copy partition 2's BCD over partition 1's? (and subsequently trying to fix it w/ Startup Repair maybe or bootrec maybe)

Assuming *you did indeed* format partition 2, then there would be no BCD file on that partition anymore, as the partition would be completely wiped. :brows: And so there would be no way to copy it, seeing as it doesn't exist anymore.

Addendum:

EDIT:
Well indeed, but I couldn't get EasyBCD to run, and I was constantly getting logged in as a temporary user, I thought this might be bad for the install since it might try to "fix" the references when I try to do updates or run fixes to get it running properly. So I tried to go the safe route of trying to do everything from a seperate install, which would ensure the files on partition 1 wouldn't be tampered with.

The second install is now up and running - could I try to use EasyBCD from there to fix partition 1's boot?

Ok...so that explains that last part. :smile: Well, in that case, then just leave partition 2 as "active" and yes, try adding an entry to the BCD on that partition with EasyBCD 2.0 Beta to boot the old install, and it should work perfectly fine.

Jake

Last edited:
Which partition was "active" when you tried running Startup Repair on the old installation?
I've tried it with both. When partition 1 was active, it wouldn't find any errors on partition 1's boot. When 2 was active, it did find errors and fixed it (as I mentioned, which got part 1 booting again).

Assuming *you did indeed* format partition 2, then there would be BCD file on that partition anymore, as the partition would be completely wiped. :brows: And so there would be no way to copy it, seeing as it doesn't exist anymore.
I did, but it's already reinstalled :booyah: - ack, it just said completing installation, and now it's still doing random tasks. I'll have to wait a few mins more untill it's actually up and running.

Ok...so that explains that last part. :smile: Well, in that case, then just leave partition 2 as "active" and yes, try adding an entry to the BCD on that partition with EasyBCD 2.0 Beta to boot the old install, and it should work perfectly fine.
But that would mean having to leave the Vista install on partition 2 right? I need to have it cleared for a linux install :S So the bcd would have to be on partition 1 right?

Addendum:

Ok, I'm trying EasyBCD. Is it possible to try and fix partition 1's boot records + setting it as active (and the only one to boot)?

Last edited:
I've tried it with both. When partition 1 was active, it wouldn't find any errors on partition 1's boot. When 2 was active, it did find errors and fixed it (as I mentioned, which got part 1 booting again).
Ok, I don't know why it didn't detect any problems with the old install's partition set to "active" then...
How many times did you try it with partition 1 "active"? Try it a couple of more times, and see what happens.
I did, but it's already reinstalled :booyah: - ack, it just said completing installation, and now it's still doing random tasks. I'll have to wait a few mins more untill it's actually up and running.

But that would mean having to leave the Vista install on partition 2 right? I need to have it cleared for a linux install :S So the bcd would have to be on partition 1 right?
Yes. I'm trying to be very flexible here, and to advise you to do the thing that would be the *most easy* for you. But as the circumstances changed, and you gave additional info not previously given, I could see the situation from a different perspective, which is why my advice changed from post to post. :grinning: And that is why I gave you the last instructions. :wink:
Addendum:

Ok, I'm trying EasyBCD. Is it possible to try and fix partition 1's boot records + setting it as active (and the only one to boot)?
Yes, from within the new install, set partition 1 to "active" from within Disk Management, and then *while still in the new install*, open up EasyBCD, go to the "Manage Bootloader" section, select "Reinstall the Vista bootloader" if not already selected, and then click on the "Write MBR" button. Next reboot, and see if you can get into your old install. BTW, I hope you can tell them apart...:grinning:

Jake

Last edited:
Ok, I don't know why it didn't detect any problems with the old install's partition set to "active" then...
How many times did you try it with partition 1 "active"? Try it a couple of more times, and see what happens.
Countless times, but I'll keep trying.

Yes. I'm trying to be very flexible here, and to advise you to do the thing that would be the *most easy* for you. That is why I gave you the last instructions. :wink:
Never give up, never surrender :grinning: GParted did something to the partition to make it inoperable, I just can't stop until I know how to fix it.

Yes, from within the new install, set partition 1 to "active" from within Disk Management, and then *while still in the new install*, open up EasyBCD, go to the "Manage Bootloader" section, select "Reinstall the Vista bootloader" if not already selected, and then click on the "Write MBR" button. Next reboot, and see if you can get into your old install. BTW, I hope you can tell them apart...:grinning:
Yess, this is what I needed. I'm currently in a Sabayon 4 livecd, trying to find a way to do it from here. But this seems like the better option, I'll try it first. Indeed, the naming of the installs is really annoying, they should have something in there to keep em apart, I don't wanna boot into one to see where I'm going >.<

Yeah, once the boot files are successfully working on partition 1, with partition 1 set to "active", then you should be able to format partition 2 again, so you can install Linux on that partition.

Yeah, once the boot files are successfully working on partition 1, with partition 1 set to "active", then you should be able to format partition 2 again, so you can install Linux on that partition.
I tried - from the install on partition 2, set partition 1 as active, then used EasyBCD to write the new mbr. Nothing, still the same error.

Startup Repair from the CD doesn't find any problems on both installs.

Got any more ideas?

I'm thinking of trying to run GParted again from the Sabayon LiveCD, but update it first this time, I don't know if I had the latest version. Or I might try to reinstall the MBR with this program.

I tried - from the install on partition 2, set partition 1 as active, then used EasyBCD to write the new mbr. Nothing, still the same error.

Startup Repair from the CD doesn't find any problems on both installs.

Got any more ideas?
Try copying the "winload.exe" file in the /Windows/System32 folder on your new install partition, and pasting the copy in the same location (i.e. /Windows/System32) on the old install's partition, replacing the one that's there currently, and see if that fixes the issue.
I'm thinking of trying to run GParted again from the Sabayon LiveCD, but update it first this time, I don't know if I had the latest version. Or I might try to reinstall the MBR with this program.
What would you use Gparted for? It is a partitioning tool, not a booting problem fixer. As for the MBB program, no need to do that either, since the MBR is not the issue here. If there was a problem with the MBR, Startup Repair would have most certainly fixed the issue.

Try copying the "winload.exe" file in the /Windows/System32 folder on your new install partition, and pasting the copy in the same location (i.e. /Windows/System32) on the old install's partition, replacing the one that's there currently, and see if that fixes the issue.
I'll try. I think I may have already tried this actually? But now I'm not sure. It was probably the winload.exe off the Vista CD that I copied. I'll try this.

What would you use Gparted for? It is a partitioning tool, not a booting problem fixer. As for the MBB program, no need to do that either, since the MBR is not the issue here. If there was a problem with the MBR, Startup Repair would have most certainly fixed the issue.
Well, since it caused the troubles in the first place, maybe it will do it properly when I do it again, with an updated version. I know, it's grasping at straws, It's just that my knowledge of bootsectors and such is at it's strech.

When does winload.exe get executed? I assume it's after you've selected the install to boot right?

The winload.exe is what Vista actually uses to load the OS. The bootmgr and BCD files only tell the system where a particular install is, so it can locate the winload.exe, and initiate the actual load of the OS. So yes, it would be after selecting the entry in the BCD (assuming you're using a menu) that the winload.exe gets executed. Otherwise, if there's only a single entry in the BCD, it loads it automatically without getting to a menu.
Have a read of this excellent guide to better understand the booting process.

EDIT: And when you mentioned the latest error when attempting to boot into your old install, after performing Startup Repair, what was the exact error message?

Last edited:
YES! I finally got it to work with the help of cmdr from the gparted forum. Apparently, the "Hidden Value" sector of partition one is wrong. The first three lines of bytes of partition 1 were as follows:

Code:
EB 52 90 4E 54 46 53 20 20 20 20 00 02 08 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 F8 00 00 3F 00 FF 00 [00 08 00 00]
00 00 00 00 80 00 80 00 80 21 0A 0B 00 00 00 00
But it should've been
Code:
EB 52 90 4E 54 46 53 20 20 20 20 00 02 08 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 F8 00 00 3F 00 FF 00 [3F 00 00 00] <-- only 2 Bytes !
00 00 00 00 80 00 80 00 80 21 0A 0B 00 00 00 00
Those 4 bytes are important, because they indicate the unused area in front of your primary partition. So chancing the value from 0x800 ( = 2048) to 0x3F (=63), we've got it pointing correctly!

I did this with the help of the GParted livecd and it's tools, for more info the topic I posted is here, you can find more detail there.

Coolname, thanks for your help, without it, I probably would have given up, since I had really run out of ideas when I made this topic, thanks :grinning:

Addendum:

Hm, now for a different problem altogether. It seems that Startup Repair has changed references on my install from c:\ to d:\ (when trying to start anything from control panel, it gives an error displaying the link to e:\, but it's c:\ now). Any idea on how I could force Startup Repair to change it back? It doesn't find any issues when I run it.

Correction - It's still e:\ appartently. The links point to E:\, and the boot drive is E:\, but the links don't work. Ugh

Addendum:

Oh yes!!!! Fixed as well :grinning:

I found this article, describing how to change the letter of a boot partition. For this you had run regedit, but regedit (nor anything else besides explorer for that matter) wouldn't run. I tried to acces is from the Vista Boot CD, didn't work, Sabayon, didn't work. I searched some more, and found this nifty tool that let's you open the hives in system32/config :grinning:, found it via the contents of the Ultimate Boot CD site.

Backed up the registry files, booted up the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, loaded up the SYSTEM hive, wen't to /MountedDevices/ and simply deleted everything in it.

Worked like a charm, everything is back the way it was, finally!

Last edited:
Hey, that's great news! :smile:
Glad your problem was solved. Let us know if you have any more problems.
BTW, I have been searching for the last several minutes to find the thread I remembered seeing not too long ago about changing the drive letter via Regedit, but *just* when I was getting ready to post it, you posted your success message. :brows:

Well, anyhow, here it is anyway:

Wrong Drive Letter Booting Vista 64 - The NeoSmart Forums

Back