Trouble dual booting Windows 7 and Linux Mint on separate hard drives

As the title says, I have Windows 7 64-bit installed on one hard drive and Linux Mint 13 installed on another hard drive (installed after Windows).

There are 3 partitions for my Linux setup:
/
swap
/home

The Mint bootloader was installed on the same partition as /.

I downloaded and installed EasyBCD 2.2.0.180 and created an entry for Linux (using Grub 2 and manually selecting the Linux root partition). When I reboot, I see an entry for Linux (in addition to Windows 7) but when I choose that option, I am taken to a grub prompt. Why is this happening? For what it's worth, I did some searching and was able to enter the appropriate commands at the grub prompt to boot Mint.

Any help is very much appreciated.

LinuxMint seems to give EasyBCD trouble every step of the way. Not sure if they did something with the GRUB loader or not. But every time someone tries to use EasyBCD with it, there is always some sort of error. What if you try deleting the entry and letting EasyBCD auto setup for you. See if that does anything to further the progress.

I just tried your suggestion but unfortunately still ran into the same problem. I think I'm going to try wiping out the Mint install and start over from scratch. I don't have any data at all so a re-install isn't a big hassle for me.

Any suggestions for the re-install?

The only thing I can suggest is try to let it install GRUB to the MBR. Then you will have the GRUB menu at first. Use that to get back into Windows and use EasyBCD from there to setup the dual boot.

I finally got this problem solved. I ended up installing the NeoGrub bootloader and then editing the menu.lst file.

I don't know why the other methods didn't work but this method is good enough for me.

Thank you for your help!

Back